12L14 about to become even more Expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As can be seen the environmental impact is prevalent in the area. See photo of discoloration of the home in this article.

That article was all over the place, but it is interesting that Canton's steel plant only had 2 elevated blood lead cases in howevermany years. I see a lot more than that at work. Looks like a small mill with one arc furnace. Interesting.

That article was all over the place, but it is interesting that Canton's steel plant only had 2 elevated blood lead cases in howevermany years. I see a lot more than that at work. Looks like a small mill with one arc furnace. Interesting.
I guess it would depend on how often and how many tests were actually done. As always money will provide the results you want in, it seems, most cases.

I guess it would depend on how often and how many tests were actually done. As always money will provide the results you want in, it seems, most cases.
It's only an annual requirement to draw blood on designated lead workers when the results are negative. Testing can be triggered by work activity and air sampling results. Any workers pop hot, they sit out until levels come down. Worker rotation is allowed, distributing the exposure across the workforce instead of overloading a few key positions. This works when it is tightly managed, but what is managed well in today's world? The worker is always the one left holding the bag.

The environmentalists likely think they are accomplishing great things here, ending production involving a hazardous material.. But the reality is that they are once again just pushing it into a different place, with less oversight, less restrictions, less visibility of it, where it can really wreak havoc on the less protected population and environment.
I’ve long believed the EPA has done it’s job and should be disbanded.

The looks on some friends faces is priceless when I state this, then I remind them that this is the exact reason their kids will forever be baristas or Cake decorators and sometimes it dawns on them I’m right.

With others the idea bounces off their head like a rubber ball.

It's only an annual requirement to draw blood on designated lead workers when the results are negative. Testing can be triggered by work activity and air sampling results. Any workers pop hot, they sit out until levels come down. Worker rotation is allowed, distributing the exposure across the workforce instead of overloading a few key positions. This works when it is tightly managed, but what is managed well in today's world? The worker is always the one left holding the bag.
I look at it like logging, driving a truck or being a cop. You know the risks but do it anyway because of the pay and benefits.

We had a steel mill where I grew up that every kid wanted a job at. $25 per hr in 1985 would have been Fantastic money, but the plant was shuttered and the jobs went away.

Yeah we had mornings when we would wake up and there would be a red haze and red dust on the cars, my parents are still kicking in their 90s and I grew up healthy.

Guess what happened to the town when the fairless works closed? It went down hill with mom&pop businesses going under and large retailers going away. This was before wallyworld and the like.

That article says the town is already impoverished. It will become another “Steel slum” when the plant closes just like the rest of the rust belt.

Dirty houses will look like heaven compared with poverty and a house that has no value.

But hey, they saved the spotted bark nibbler and the black backed corner spider.

That’s a win, right?

As an alternative to 12L14, I recently tried some 1215, finished very nicely.
Good to know. I wonder how the price compares.
1215 has more sulfer than 12L 14, and no lead of course.
I have a hunch 1215 is cheaper.

Good to know. I wonder how the price compares.
1215 has more sulfer than 12L 14, and no lead of course.
I have a hunch 1215 is cheaper.
I bought a bunch of 1215 from McMaster a couple years ago, it was quite a bit cheaper than. I just checked the site and a 1" round by 72" is about $95 for 12L14 and $60 for the 1215. Interesting enough, the 1215 is cheaper than mild steel as well.

I bought a bunch of 1215 from McMaster a couple years ago, it was quite a bit cheaper than. I just checked the site and a 1" round by 72" is about $95 for 12L14 and $60 for the 1215. Interesting enough, the 1215 is cheaper than mild steel as well.
Yeah, that price was one of the things that got me to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back