123 blocks

I finished a set for Chucktn and they are harder the well you know what. I've a couple of sets China made the same as the rest and I made a set of cast iron with just 3/8" holes in it. I have yet to have to screw them together for any work of done. Now Chuck wanted them drilled to make an angle plate 90 deg but my personal is an angle plate because them I know it's square and I trust them because I made and ground them when at work with very good machines to check them.

Todd
Oh and carbide end mills tend to chip due to the extreme hardness and interrupted cut.

My Chinese set were accurate in size and hole location, but were hard, but not extremely so. No chipping problem with the endmill. YMMV.

Why all the holes? It helps keep the cross section more uniform to limit distortion when heat treating. At least that is what a toolmaker told me as a student 40+ years ago. Still makes sense to me today.

maybe one of you guys that use them regularly would post some photo's of your set-up's with them. . .
I never even considered using them until I saw a couple of pictures. . . . and still forget to even consider them in a set up.
thanks in advance.
davidh

Wow. I use them all the time, probably not as intended, but I reach for them more than most anything else. One of my more unique uses was when I was cutting the "nut" for a new BXA toolpost before I had a mill.

BXAbase07.JPG

I use them for spacers, setting stock square in vises, help with clamping or positioning a workpiece, etc. etc. and on and on.

-Ron

LEGOS FOR GROWN UPS.

DSC01915.JPG

BTW. without holes they really hurt when you drop them on your toe.:panic: OW OW OW OW OW OW OW

DSC01915.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
"LEGOS FOR GROWN UPS"
I don't care who you are, that's priceless!!!!:applause:

Back