12" Craftsman Taper Attachment

My machine shop makes a new one also.

That's certainly a reasonable price.....

As you are already a donor, you can go to Downloads and to the appropriate PDF file and pick out the part/casting numbers that you need. Note that if you intend to look for almost anything Atlas on eBay, most sellers are clueless as to what they are selling. And almost invariably pick the wrong number to call something. Before you go to Downloads, I suggest that you read the instructions for using it which you will find in the Sticky area at the top of this (Atlas, Craftsman,...) Forum. Note that most of the parts drawings in Downloads are factory originals but the ones for the taper attachment were reverse engineered, because Clausing at least at the time still had some on the shelf. However, the files on the 760 and 6822 themselves are factory scans.

The 041 numbers are for the later No. 6822. 10-761 and 10-762 are the equivalent parts for the No, 760. The difference is that the 6822 fits the later 1/2" bed and the 760 the 3/8" bed. None of the reverse engineered drawings include the two clamps. All that we appear to have are the isometric assembly drawings. And you can't tell from those what the difference is. The 760 parts list, which dates from the 40's or maybe even earlier, does not list the commercial nuts, bolts or screws. With the mounting brackets (either number), you will also need two 10-770 clamp plates and some bolts, nuts and screws. Size and length are shown on the 6822 instruction sheet. But not on the 760 one as back then, commercial parts were not usually listed for anything.

In any case, the instruction sheets for both versions are in Downloads.

Good point. I should have noted that my taper attachment is for a lathe with 1/2 ways.

I will need to go look at the bed and see if it is 3/8 or 1/2" would the 760 work on the 1/2" bed?

I think that the 760 would fit the late 1/2" bed but I don't have one to try. Either you would need longer bolts and screws and/or a couple of 1/8" spacer plates or you would need to mill 1/8" off of the two cast brackets. But all of the parts are the same except for the brackets and the lack of the two brass slides, which you can get from Clausing. Or live without.

And the change in model number could have been just a marketing ploy.

Back