12" Craftsman Taper Attachment

MHW

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can anyone tell me if Craftsman made a Taper Attachment for a 12" lathe 101.28990 and if they did where might i find some pics and part #s

I'm not familiar with your model number for the specific 12" you have. But Sears did offer taper attachments for their 12" lathes. Here's a catalog showing the lathe and the taper attachments. You might try posting your question in the ATLAS forum, might get a better response there.

Bruce

Attachments

• Atlas lathe accessories.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
Thank you for the info. I have been searching hi and low for a book like that for reference information I will post also to Atlas. Here is pic of Ser plate and machine. I beleve these were the last model made.

Attachments

• IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2597.jpg
    IMG_2597.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
There is/was a taper attachment for the 12". Here's some photo's my 12", the data plate, and the taper attachment.
IMG_7680.JPG
IMG_7681.JPG
IMG_7682.JPG

hank you for the pics. my daughter is in Anchorage. Does the attachment have a part #?

my understanding is that these were the best and last that Atlas made for craftsman

YW. I'm about 45 minutes north of Anchorage. The only part numbers I see, are in the castings. They're different numbers, so I assume they are the individual casting part number, and not that of the taper attachment assembly. The Taper Attachment p/n is 6822.

Last edited:
My machine shop makes a new one also.

The Sears 101.28990 is the same except for badges and plates or decals as the Atlas 3996. All of the taper attachments that Atlas made would fit all of the 10" Atlas and 12" Craftsman that they also made. The only significant difference between the 10" and the 12" in any given year were the swing, headstock casting, tailstock casting, and compound swivel. Some years the bed legs were different because of some strange ideas of someone in Sears but from 1957 on, either the guy had retired or he had finally given in and they were all the same except for Model Numbers and badges..

The Atlas Taper Attachment model numbers are:

700 (sometimes referred to as the Toolroom ...)

For some strange reason, I have never come across the Sears model numbers.

The mid and the late Taper Attachments are interchangeable except for a couple of brass parts added to the final version, and will all fit either badge machine. You will find drawings and instructions including parts lists of the mid and late Atlas numbered ones in Downloads. The very first one (which almost never turns up anyway) we only have the instructions for. Last time that I checked, Clausing still had the added parts on hand if you manage to acquire the earlier one and want to upgrade it. The earliest version that Atlas made was called the Toolroom Taper Attachment. The others dropped "Toolroom" from the name.

FWIW, access to Downloads requires Donor status, any level.

can you give me the numbers from the cast pieces id=f there is any?

Back