[Newbie] 10x18 Lathe Squeaks When Run.

Jwest,
I could not get your video to run so I can only tell you this. When I start my lathe I let it run in neutral for a few minutes then I put it the slowest speed for a minute before I make a cut. Kind of like warming up your car before you take off.
I'll try your video again later and get back to you.
***********JADIP*************************************Gator****************************

Sounds like belt squeak. If it has V belts, make sure the pulleys are straight in-line and one is not twisted. If it has a flat groves (automotive fan belt) make sure it's not rubbing on one side.

Woops, thanks for the quick replies team, I'll see about uploading a new video tomorrow too. I'll review the belts again, but I'm 90% confident it's coming from the spindle / chuck Area!

Woops, thanks for the quick replies team, I'll see about uploading a new video tomorrow too. I'll review the belts again, but I'm 90% confident it's coming from the spindle / chuck Area!

Very interested in another video. V belts sometimes track differently going forward/reverse, so that's one reason it sounds different. If in doubt, try spinning it by hand or using a drill motor to spin it and see if it still squeaks. If it stopped, it's the belt.

First thing to do is narrow the search , take all the belts off and disconnect the gear train , run the motor alone and seeif it squeeks , then start hooking things back up one at a time till you find the squeak . easy peasy

Hey All,

While in bed reading last night, I may have found the issue on this website:
http://craftexb2227lmetallathe.blogspot.ca/2013/03/replacing-gearbox-gasket.html

The above link is a blog dedicated to my lathe model, (it only has two articles, but one seems to be a likely cause.) In the article linked two, the article speaks to a gasket that often is crushed into an oil channel that feeds oil towards the front of the headstock bearing.
The issue is less prevalent once warmed up properly, so maybe it's just the oil needs a few minutes at low speeds to get to the headstock bearing...
I did take the gearbox lid to check out the oil when I first bought the lathe, and am guessing I messed up the gasket placement. Will check tonight and get back to everyone.

Side note, Made some machinist jacks yesterday that I'm pretty happy with:
2015-05-18 14.36.28.jpg 2015-05-18 17.36.20.jpg

Posted too soon again.

I removed the belts to test, Motor is silent without the belts, but couldn't spin the head fast enough to make the squeak at all without the help of the motor. Suspect the above noted is the issue though.

Should i try Belt dressing as a test? (I know it's a band-aid, but is it worth a try?)

Thanks!

Back