109.21280 Craftsman Lathe

The M6-510A is too short for the 10" and 12". Plus it won't fit the dovetail on the larger carriages. For the larger machines, you need the 510A.

In the 1930's to 50's, if you bought all of the available accessories, you would probably spend about as much on them as on the lathe. Today, you'll probably send 2X to 3X.
When I was reading the old ads for accessories I did not see a difference in the size lathe it fit and I thought they had the same part numbers. I measured the slide on the cutter and it is approximately 1 3/4" x 2" and the cutter fits as it should. I don't know the slide dimensions on any of the other size lathes. I guess I need to learn to comprehend what I am reading. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Some of the parts are the same but the base and the motor base are different.

I think that was a tongue-in-cheek comment on the fact that just about any two or three accessories will cost as much as the lathe you want them for. :)

I think that was a tongue-in-cheek comment on the fact that just about any two or three accessories will cost as much as the lathe you want them for. :)

And all those comedians are out of work?

I got her cleaned, lubed, and mounted to some plywood for now. I was a little concerned about changing the speeds by moving the belt when the motor was in a fixed position. I borrowed an idea from someone on the net. I mounted the motor on a hinged board and it works great! Thanks to who ever that was.

DSC07961.JPG DSC07963.JPG DSC07964.JPG DSC07965.JPG

One comment on the hinged mount - to complete it, you need to temporarily remove the motor for access. Match-drill a hole through the hinged board and the top of the bench to fit say a 3/8" bolt. With the bit still the holes and spinning, tilt the drill towards the lathe about 45 deg. Put a flat washer onto a long enough bolt and drop the bolt through the hole. Put another flat washer on the bolt followed by a nylok nut. Reinstall the motor and belt. Tighten the nut enough to put add a slight tension to the belt.

The reason is that belt tension will vary with the torque being required to turn the spindle. As the torque requirement changes, the motor will tend to "climb" the belt. An interrupted cut such as would be encountered if you were rounding a piece of square stock will cause the motor to bounce repeatedly.and the spindle RPM to vary. It doesn't do anything for convenience when you need to change spindle speeds but it's a necessary evil.

Back