109.21280 Craftsman Lathe

I was wrong it is as someone else said AA. I new it was 2 letters. My friend had one . That was almost twenty years ago. The thing that the step pulley is built with is a planetary gear that will give you a slow set of speeds. I forget the way it works .

For operation of the back gears (IN or OUT), download the manual on AA lathe 109.20630. About half way down the right hand column of Page 5, you will find the instructions. It is possible that the locking pin referred to might be in that assembly with the slotted head screw visible in your third and fourth photos instead of sticking through the tailstock side of the headstock. If so, there will be a hole in the OD of the gear housing (the wide disk next to the spindle cone pulley. In any case, be sure that you follow the lubrication instructions before you run the machine under power.

One of those in mint condition was on ebay recently. I forget the actual price but I think it was over 1,000. It didn't last long.

I saw one with an asking price of $1800. I messaged the guy to see if he had any offers. His answer was no. His looked to be in great condition. I would not want nearly that much.
One of those in mint condition was on ebay recently. I forget the actual price but I think it was over 1,000. It didn't last long.

Last edited:
I saw one with an asking price of $1800. I messaged the guy to see if he had any offers. His answer was no. His looked to be in great condition. I would not want nearly that much.

You just got it and getting rid of it already?

You just got it and getting rid of it already?
I have slightly more projects than I probably have the time to complete. I am STILL working on a South Bend Model A 9" lathe. I like redoing stuff more than using it. I kinda figured if it were collectable/rare, it would be better off in someones hands other than mine and maybe they would appreciate it more. I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it Saturday and Monday. If it sells then great and if it doesn't it doesn't take too much room. I haven't had anyone show any interest here so far and not really up to date on what is permissible on this site and what is not. And I am sure shipping one would be expensive. And one of the most important things, how much should I ask? Is $500 as is where is to much?

For trying to sell it on this site, you should list it in Classifieds. It is OK to mention here that it's listed. And it is OK to discuss what it's worth. But it is not OK to actually try to sell it in this thread or this forum.

As far as what it is worth, my guess is that $500 is too high. And you might do better to list the mica undercutter separately. That is a specialty tool that most will not have a use for. And before you try to sell it, you probably need to figure out which other machines it will bit, if any. Assuming that it actually fits your cross slide dovetail, you could start by stating the width and height of the dovetail on this machine.

Thanks for the advice. More research needed on my part then.

For trying to sell it on this site, you should list it in Classifieds. It is OK to mention here that it's listed. And it is OK to discuss what it's worth. But it is not OK to actually try to sell it in this thread or this forum.

As far as what it is worth, my guess is that $500 is too high. And you might do better to list the mica undercutter separately. That is a specialty tool that most will not have a use for. And before you try to sell it, you probably need to figure out which other machines it will bit, if any. Assuming that it actually fits your cross slide dovetail, you could start by stating the width and height of the dovetail on this machine.
From what little I could find the Mica Undercutter is probable an M6-510A. It can be used on 6", 10" and 12" Craftsman lathes. Atlas, of course has the same physical appearance. The receipt may be for the undercutter. One catalogue I saw had one listed for about the same price. One new complete kit in the box is listed on ebay for $249 plus shipping. Where do people come up with such numbers? Like one guy stated some where in my past reading: " the company should give you the lathe for free, because the tooling required to use it cost more than the lathe." I think I concur. Thanks for the help guys.

The M6-510A is too short for the 10" and 12". Plus it won't fit the dovetail on the larger carriages. For the larger machines, you need the 510A.

In the 1930's to 50's, if you bought all of the available accessories, you would probably spend about as much on them as on the lathe. Today, you'll probably send 2X to 3X.

Back