109.21280 Craftsman Lathe - Newbee Questions

Hi. Thanks for the response. Here are some more pictures. I need one of the small handles - you can see someone used a socket. If anyone knows where to find one, please let me know. Also, what size taper is the chuck? it shows a J2, is that the same as a M2? Thank you.

IMG_6625.jpgIMG_6626.jpgIMG_6627.jpgIMG_6628.jpgIMG_6629.jpgIMG_6630.jpgIMG_6631.jpgIMG_6632.jpgIMG_6633.jpgIMG_6634.jpgIMG_6635.jpg

I have been through the nearly complete run of Sears Power Tools catalogs but don't find it listed. If anyone ever does, please let me know.

I was curious about it also. Over on the VM site the AA-80 appears in the 1960-61 tool catalog. Also the Craftsman "crown" logo seems to have appeared around that time. There is no 1962 tool catalog that I can find anywhere online. The 1963 tool catalog has no AA lathe. Was it maybe only offered in 1962?

So, call it by it's proper name, Zamak; the point that I was making was that it does not have the strength or durability of other commonly used materials such as cast iron or steel, I was urging being careful in trying to remove the chuck to avoid damage to the gearing due its lesser durability. The term "pot metal" is merely slang for the same material, not intended as a slur.

Calling something Pot Metal in its simplest terms means that you have no idea what was in the pot when it was melted. Which is also true if you just say "cast iron" but isn't true of Zamak 5 which has a well defined composition. I didn't look into the variables but two different sources give the tensile strength of Zamak 5 as 48,000 psi and of gray cast iron as 9,500 to 60,900 psi. But be that as it may, the fact remains that the term "pot metal" is mainly used as an insult or is indicative of lack of knowledge on the users part. So don't use it on this site.

The rear view photo of the 101.21280 indicates that the back gear mechanism is a heavier version of the planetary gearbox arrangement used on the 109.21270 and earlier models. However we can't tell anything about the Sun gear or the probably three intermediate gears or how the cone pulley is coupled to the spindle. So I would probably attempt to remove the spindle from the headstock with the drive or backing plate in place if it doesn't want to come off. And then figure some way to hold the spindle and remove the plate.The exploded view drawing of the 109.21270 is in Downloads. And I think that the instruction sheet for converting the 109.0702 to a 109.0703 which is mainly how to install the back gears and may be of some help.

I just looked up your lathe in the archive at tonylathes.
They have information & photos you will be interested in.

Back
Top Bottom