101.07301 Lathe Pully

The bushings on the 101.07301 do not need an oil hole nor do they need to be split , I did both . My spindle was very worn out so splitting the bushing was the only option without getting a new spindle . The bushings are made form oilite , they soake up the oil and retain it .
Somebody really did some bad stuff to your lathe , thankfully it is in good hands now .
Mark .
I am glad to hear that. Mine does have a hole through the chuck end bushing.

Assuming that the bushing is/was the correct one, a PO put the hole in it. As none of the Oilite-style bushings need a hole. However, if the holey bushing is not worn to any degree, turn the hole down and don't otherwise worry about it.

What I would suggest doing about the oil hole in the pulley is that if the threads go all of the way through get a 3/16" or 1/4" long set screw with the correct threads, drill a hole through it and stud-lock it flush with the bottom of the hole. After the stud-lock cures, wash the excess off. That way, you can run the oil plug set screw down against the fixed set screw and not have to use the nylon patch type set screws which are a little expensive and not supposed to be re-used. Also, install the felt plugs in the two oil cups.

Back