101.07301 Lathe Pully

bama7

Registered
Registered
It has been a long time since I have been on the forum and a long time since I have had a project. I got a Craftsman 101.07301 lathe yesterday and it has a wire completely through spindle shaft. I honestly don't remember how it is supposed to be setup. Oil hole maybe, but drilled through the shaft? I just can't remember. I just found this info:
Note the small screw in the second pulley groove. That is for oil. Nothing else. It lubes the step
pulley bushings. (It's supposed to be oiled each day that you will use the back gear.)
My question now: is the hole supposed to go through the shaft?

Attachments

• IMG_20220512_073816577.jpg
    IMG_20220512_073816577.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Is the Lock Pin between the Back Gear and the 4 groove pulley still there? Perhaps the previous owner didn't understand that was supposed to be there and drilled the spindle in frustration. There should not be a hole through the spindle (as far as I know).

When I got my lathe, the oil set screw was cranked down against the spindle; it did odd things when the Lock Pin was retracted. I backed out
the set screw a bit and everything started acting normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that transfers motive power from the step pulley to the spindle should be the bull gear pin. When back gears are used, the pin is pulled out to disengage the pulley from the spindle. Check to see if the pin is missing or broken. The bull gear is keyed to the spindle, but the pulley should spin freely when the pin is pulled. The wire should be tossed.
I'm not aware of a thru-hole on a stock factory spindle. The pulley hole is for oil only. Also should be only one v-belt
-Mark

Last edited:
I guess I have me a strange critter here. The pin on the bull gear is still in place and not engaged, but I can't push it in. The spindle pully spins freely with the wire removed. I don't quite understand the two belts either. Maybe the guy used it for a spare.:surrender:I will take it all down for cleaning and inspection sometime soon and report my findings.

The Direct Drive Pin (proper name) can be engaged or slid into a hole in the face of the step pulley at only two places 180 degrees apart. AFAIK, there are no externally visible marks on the original or stock 4-groove spindle step pulley showing the location of the two holes in the face. One of the first things that I did to my Atlas 3996 12" was to locate the holes experimentally by pressing on the end of the direct drive pin hard enough with a finger of my right hand to start the pin moving and then rotating the pulley with my left hand until the pin suddenly moved and seated itself into the hole. Then I made a permanent mark on the pulley showing where that hidden hole was. Next I pulled the direct drive pin back out, rotated the pulley 180 degrees and repeated the exercise including making a permanent mark again on the pulley.

I used a center punch (the step-pulley is not on the spindle) but you will need to use something like a 3-cornered file.

However, if that really is a piece of wire or metal tubing shown in your photo and if there is a hole in the side of the spindle that the wire goes down into, I think that the only solutions will be to plug the hole or to replace the spindle. If the threads in the hole in the bottom of the pulley groove that the hole plug or set screw is supposed to be in instead of the wire have been damaged or drilled through, you may be able to save the pulley by installing a thread-cert and using a nylon patch type of self-locking set screw. However, be advised that such self-locking set screws are not reusable so every time that you oil the spindle bushings you will probably need to finish with a new self-locking set screw.

Last edited:
The Direct Drive Pin (proper name) can be engaged or slid into a hole in the face of the step pulley at only two places 180 degrees apart. AFAIK, there are no externally visible marks on the original or stock 4-groove spindle step pulley showing the location of the two holes in the face. One of the first things that I did to my Atlas 3996 12" was to locate the holes experimentally by pressing on the end of the direct drive pin hard enough with a finger of my right hand to start the pin moving and then rotating the pulley with my left hand until the pin suddenly moved and seated itself into the hole. Then I made a permanent mark on the pulley showing where that hidden hole was. Next I pulled the direct drive pin back out, rotated the pulley 180 degrees and repeated the exercise including making a permanent mark again on the pulley.

I used a center punch (the step-pulley is not on the spindle) but you will need to use something like a 3-cornered file.

However, if that really is a piece of wire or metal tubing shown in your photo and if there is a hole in the side of the spindle that the wire goes down into, I think that the only solutions will be to plug the hole or to replace the spindle. If the threads in the hole in the bottom of the pulley groove that the hole plug or set screw is supposed to be in instead of the wire have been damaged or drilled through, you may be able to save the pulley by installing a thread-cert and using a nylon patch type of self-locking set screw. However, be advised that such self-locking set screws are not reusable so every time that you oil the spindle bushings you will probably need to finish with a new self-locking set screw.
I hope to take it all apart soon to see what is going on. I am in hopes the threads aren't too messed up. I will plug the other hole with some type plug or good ole JB Weld.

OK. Is the direct drive pin present?

I assume that the hole that you are talking about plugging is the hole through the spindle wall? First choice would be a replacement spindle. But if you can't come up with one, then I would tap the hole with something like 1/4-28 to increase the surface area and use JB Weld. After it has cured, you will need to run a drill bit of the proper diameter inside the spindle and radius the outside ti match the existing diameter.

OK. Is the direct drive pin present?

I assume that the hole that you are talking about plugging is the hole through the spindle wall? First choice would be a replacement spindle. But if you can't come up with one, then I would tap the hole with something like 1/4-28 to increase the surface area and use JB Weld. After it has cured, you will need to run a drill bit of the proper diameter inside the spindle and radius the outside ti match the existing diameter.
The pin is in place, but doesn't seem to move. I am in hopes it is just gummed up. Hope to work on it today.

This may well be the dirtiest lathe I have worked on so far. I think that is what caused some problems. There is an oil cap on the gear end of the shaft, but no hole through the bushing to oil the shaft. I would think there should be. Chuck end is ok. Pin in bull gear needed some help to move in and out. It will more than likely need to be replaced as well as the shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_20220516_092349121.jpg
    IMG_20220516_092349121.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220516_092353782.jpg
    IMG_20220516_092353782.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220516_092431786.jpg
    IMG_20220516_092431786.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 5
The bushings on the 101.07301 do not need an oil hole nor do they need to be split , I did both . My spindle was very worn out so splitting the bushing was the only option without getting a new spindle . The bushings are made form oilite , they soake up the oil and retain it .
Somebody really did some bad stuff to your lathe , thankfully it is in good hands now .
Mark .

Back