I'm having a hard time mentally figuring out why the loaded lathe with the larger spindle bore, larger motor, extra stuff and is 500 pounds heavier is the same price as their bare bones "gunsmith" lathe with a smaller spindle bore, weaker motor, no "stuff" and $300 shipping.
Because the 1340GT lathe is made in Taiwan, and the stuff you can see (and the stuff you can't see) are a higher quality than the other lathe. The other lathe probably has components that looked like they were manufactured with sand castings of crude playdoh forms shaped by kids (at least that is what the motor bracket on my G0709 looks like).

Just be patient. PM is a small shop, and as close to Christmas as we are, you might be waiting a bit for an answer.

Sorry Holescreek, I was having a *Duh* moment. But yea, basically what Tim said. The 1340GT is on a different level quality-wise. You pay for what you get...

Just be patient. PM is a small shop, and as close to Christmas as we are, you might be waiting a bit for an answer.

Agreed, he is very busy and QMT is a small business. However, the customer service before and especially after the sale is HUGE.

I was dealing with Matt yesterday about my latest purchases and he is doing the best he can. I am sure he will get back if you send an email.

As to the PM1340GT, the overall quality of this lathe is hands down one of the nicest I have seen in the past several years. I wanted to stay with Taiwanese and never even considered the 1440E-LB because it was a Chinese machine. I was looking for higher quality and my previous machine was Chinese which I didn't want a repeat of, but that is just me, I know of many people who are completely happy with their Chinese machines. They are much better than they were a decade or two ago for sure.

Mike.

I'm in no hurry, I might get lucky and some heavy iron will hit craigslist. :rolleyes:

Well I spoke to Matt yesterday I think I'm actually going to get the mill Coolidge has and the 1340gt lathe. I'm just sick of looking, I'm not willing to spend thousands on someone else's headache... STAY AWAY FROM GRIZZLY

Well I spoke to Matt yesterday I think I'm actually going to get the mill Coolidge has and the 1340gt lathe. I'm just sick of looking, I'm not willing to spend thousands on someone else's headache... STAY AWAY FROM GRIZZLY

You will love both the PM1340GT lathe and the PM935TV mill. Both are very nice, high quality machines. The quality and functionality is superb.

Mike.

Start a new thread over on the PM forum so we can talk about options, the lathe variable speed option for example.

You will love both the PM1340GT lathe and the PM935TV mill. Both are very nice, high quality machines. The quality and functionality is superb.

Mike.

Mike isn't the minimum 90 rpm speed a bit high for threading on the manual machine? I see the lowest speed with the variable option is 50 rpms. Also will a keyless chuck fit all the way into the tailstock with the quill fully retracted e.g. so you still have the full 4 inches of travel?

Back