10" Atlas rebuild

iron man

Active User
Registered
10" Atlas rebuild

I Am finally in the home strech of finishing my Atlas lathe mods and rebuild. I modified the tailstock so I now have 3 1/2" of travel along with a DRO. I rescraped the ways to straighten them back to perfect after years abuse from previous owner. I was self taught on the scraping and was very happy with the results. I modified the carriage and planed the surface so it has more surface contact.

I then set in and made stronger adjustable gibs using brass and steel the tolerance on the bed is now very tight but glides up and down the bed. I have all new Acme screws on the tailstock, carriage and lead screw. I also have a direct read dial a brass compound nut that is twice as long as stock I plan on some other mods later. I have remade some gears as they wear out or go bad and I have a 2 1/2 horse DC variable speed motor thanks for looking.. Ray

100_0638.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

100_0640.JPG

The carriage and tailstock leadscrews are now supported with ball bearings that doubles as a thrust surface. I repainted it hammertone gray.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0641.JPG

I repainted the badges and made a box to house the variable control.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0642.JPG

Here is the DC motor lot of power there.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0639.JPG

I repainted the legs as well I have a few more ideas to improve this lathe I do it just for fun and because I can. All mods are reversable and I have a drawer full of good Atlas parts I keep all the parts for the next guy but I am not done with it yet.. Ray

- - - Updated - - -

100_0627.JPG

Here is the carriage getting resurfaced along with a brass plate added for more surface contact.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0632.JPG

Here are the new gibs they stregthen the carriage and the brass slides down the castiron real nice.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0619.JPG

Here is the new chrome barrel I made for the tailstock it is about 1 3/8 longer.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0623.JPG

And here is the finished tailstock with the DRO and extended barrel there is also a holder for the drill chuck tang inside the bore so the chuck will not spin. at the handle end of things there is now a dial and everything is supported on ball bearings now. The lock down has a spring in it as well to help disconnect with less turns. Well thats all for now. Ray

100_0638.JPG 100_0640.JPG 100_0641.JPG 100_0642.JPG 100_0639.JPG 100_0627.JPG 100_0632.JPG 100_0619.JPG 100_0623.JPG

100_0644.JPG

I made another small modification I bent up a new chip pan out of pre-painted aluminum I made it wider to catch the chips off the back I then put a skirt in back made out of white roofing material to deflect the chips and put them in the pan it should work good.. Ray

100_0644.JPG

Awesome work on that atlas. Makes me want to refurb mine, but I'm usually too busy using it to tear it apart.

Ray,

Wow, that looks great! You've really put a lot of hard work into that thing. I'm guessing it runs sweet.

2 1/2 HP motor??!!! Yikes! That thing is a hot rod!!

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Ray,

Wow, that looks great! You've really put a lot of hard work into that thing. I'm guessing it runs sweet.

2 1/2 HP motor??!!! Yikes! That thing is a hot rod!!

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

It is an Atlas on steroids!!

Very nice work Ray.
What chuck does the lathe have?
My QC54 has the original chuck. I am not vey impressed with it. I think I would like a chuck with 3 tightening positions. I guess I got used to
that when I had the Grizzly 10x22. It just feels better to me to tighten the stock in the jaws, then give it a little tweak in the other two.
Any thoughts?
Jack

The best single thing you could do on an Atlas lathe is replace the chuck I got this one from a tool salesman that stopped at our shop twice a year I dont know the brand but 15 or 20 yrs ago it was about $125 that is what I paid for the lathe as well. I had to grind the jaws to true it up to my lathe just to make it perfect but that was only about 20 minutes worth of work. I think I may buy a four jawed chuck from Grizzly but Shars has some reasonable chucks I have used and they worked real well. here is a decent one..Ray

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-3-Jaw-Plain-Back-Scroll-Chuck/G9831

Last edited:
AWESOME restoration! I love it. I hope it runs as well as it looks......

All is well it is amazing what just a little time and a few mods will do thanks for the reply. Ray

Back