1" R-8 Collet

Believe it or not I use one of those frequently with a 1 inch ball endmill in it. I have done quite a bit of HDPE and some other types of reinforced plastics. And have even used it on aluminum . Haven't had any problems or catastrophes. Slow and steady wins this race.

Jay

Never seen a 1" R8 collet . I thought the largest made was a 7/8s . The 7/8" is pretty thin so I could imagine what the 1" would be . But I learned something today anyway .

Oh .....ok . It's an extended nose collet . Might hold for light duty I suppose .

Anyone used one of these? I can't see how they can clamp very good without the end of the collet being inside the taper. What's the purpose? I don't see it working for milling with the side pressure and I'm doubtful it could drive a 1" shank drill.
Good question. I bought one awhile back having never physically ever seen one. I've got to admit it's kinda spooky looking, and I'd be hesitant to use it with such a big tool. I've got an R8 ER 40 collet Chuck and I have clamped up 1" shanks numerous times with no problem. The problem with that setup is that the collet Chuck hangs down out of the bottom of the spindle at least a couple inches, and if you're in a pinch for room between your machine and your work, that doesn't help in that respect much. For the few times I will actually need one an R8 end mill holder seems like the way to go but I'm just being cheap, no wait, that doesn't sound very good, thrifty, yeah, that sounds better, and just watching eBay for a good used one. It's a good thing I haven't needed one because any ones that I come across look like they either belong in the scrap bin or they cost almost as much as a new one. What to do, what to do?

They look like they need a clamp around the end of the collet, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of having a collet.

I think it's a bit inaccurate to call it a "collet" since it doesn't actually surround the end mill and back it up. I'd call it a chuck at best and like others have said, I would only trust it for very light duty work such as plastic. The proper term for end mills with set screws is "Weldon" shank.

Back