1" R-8 Collet

pineyfolks

Active User
Registered
Anyone used one of these? I can't see how they can clamp very good without the end of the collet being inside the taper. What's the purpose? I don't see it working for milling with the side pressure and I'm doubtful it could drive a 1" shank drill.

Anyone used one of these? I can't see how they can clamp very good without the end of the collet being inside the taper. What's the purpose? I don't see it working for milling with the side pressure and I'm doubtful it could drive a 1" shank drill.
I would be interested in trying one, but frankly, have never been able to find one. Where are you finding it? Tia, JR49

Most sets do not include a 1". I have a End mill holder with set screws on an R-8 for 1" shanks.

Most sets do not include a 1". I have a End mill holder with set screws on an R-8 for 1" shanks.
There are threads on the site referring to the lack of clamping force on 1" R8 collets. Louis, myself and others just use a 1" end mill holder with the aforementioned set screws. I'd avoid the 1" R8 collet.

Bruce

Have one, for the rare times I need it for a 1" end mill, but have only used it to bore holes. I read that they break easily if pushed in a milling scenario. Now have an ER40 holder which will take 1" shank tooling. Prefer to use the ER32 and ER40 on my mill, I quickly get tired of changing R8 collets with a manual draw bar.

After looking at it, I don't think I would spend any money on it. Can't be too rigid. If you really need a 1" end mill or a tool with a 1" shank, that looks very "light" to do any work.

Well after looking at it, and based on the opinions of the guys with much more know-how than I, if I need to use a tool with a 1" shaft, I'll get an end mill holder. Thanks to all, JR49

When I first saw it I thought there was something missing from it. Makes me wonder what designer came up with it. I use endmill holders for heavy milling. I was just wondering if someone else had a use for it that I wasn't aware of.

It would be ok for a boring head or tapping head.

Back