1/6th scale 1890's 30ft navy steam cutter (live steam)

Thanks for all the picture, love looking at your progress.

starting drawing out the firebox base of the boiler,, collected the needed brass for it's construction.. using a plexy template the the firebox footprint the keelsons and brackets made and temp mounted.. got to use my new to me vintage heavy metal pencil compass(no flex there) next week should be lots of mill and lathe time working on the fire box..

Attachments

• IMGP0035.JPG
    IMGP0035.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMGP0039 (2).JPG
    IMGP0039 (2).JPG
    375.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGP0048 (3).JPG
    IMGP0048 (3).JPG
    518.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP0049 (2).JPG
    IMGP0049 (2).JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 23
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_76a.jpeg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_76a.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 23
  • thumbnail_WardG1-R_dim.jpg
    thumbnail_WardG1-R_dim.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 23
With the water level gage so far to one side, one would never know where the water level was, what with the rolling of the boat.

that's kind of a basic drawing showing the wall tubes,, the boat plans place the site glass and try-cocks piping coming off the boiler at 40 degrees aft of the beam center line (if it was further aft it would conflict with the engine piping and space),, letting the engineman keep an eye on the level,,(the pressure gauge is also in the area) and also keeping the space for movement clear on that side of the boiler.. also being a water-tube boiler and not a fire-tube the level is a little more less effected by rolling,, boats are always rolling or pitching a experienced operator would know when to trust the level..

Attachments

• thumbnail_WardG2_aft_450k.jpg
    thumbnail_WardG2_aft_450k.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 6
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_768.jpeg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_768.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 6
that's kind of a basic drawing showing the wall tubes,, the boat plans place the site glass and try-cocks piping coming off the boiler at 40 degrees aft of the beam center line (if it was further aft it would conflict with the engine piping and space),, letting the engineman keep an eye on the level,,(the pressure gauge is also in the area) and also keeping the space for movement clear on that side of the boiler.. also being a water-tube boiler and not a fire-tube the level is a little more less effected by rolling,, boats are always rolling or pitching a experienced operator would know when to trust the level..
Yes, I am aware of that situation, I had a 30 steam launch of steel construction that I had built, it has a water tube boiler, burning wood and oil it was a single chine with counter stern, the water level gages were on the center line of the boiler. the engine was of my own design, all built with castings, I think about 17 of them were built by myself and others, cylinder dimensions were 3&5-1/4 X 3 3/4, was counterbalanced and ran at 430 RPM with 150# steam with a 24 X 28P 3 bladed prop.

great to here this info(any photos?) I'm in communication with several full scale steamboat folks that are giving me lots of advice and information.

great to here this info(any photos?) I'm in communication with several full scale steamboat folks that are giving me lots of advice and information.
Here is the only pic that we could easily find of the boat when it had the steam plant in it, I later replaced it with a 11 hp Hicks gasoline marine engine, the guy I sold the boat to has now found and bought the steam engine and boiler and plans to put it back in. We also have a video that we could post of the engine running if folks would like to see it.Steamboat BMC.jpg

Back