1/4 of the way to a mill

Dave, that is essentially a gear head on an RF-30 machine and, at least in my opinion, not worth what he is asking. If he came down to $1500 then it might be worth that. If you're going anywhere near $3000 then I would hold out for a used knee mill.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. @mikey
Too much cash for not enough machine.

Yeah, it looks like he just painted it, too. Wonder what it looked like before he did that. I would pass unless he is really willing to come down significantly.

Yeah, it looks like he just painted it, too. Wonder what it looked like before he did that. I would pass unless he is really willing to come down significantly.
Agreed. I noticed the shiny new bolts on the base.
Makes me wonder why he is selling it.
I might low-ball him just to see what he'd say.
It almost worked on that other South Bend lathe (which is still for sale :) )

If you do try it, be sure you have your ducks in a row. Tell him a brand new RF-40 is going for $2205 on ebay right now so his price is way out of line. A used mill is worth maybe 50% of new cost if it is in really good shape, which his isn't. Don't be swayed by the inclusion of an import milling vise; it is worth very little. Neither are used import collets or collet chucks. The only thing that is worth having is an x-axis power feed and working DRO. The rest you will buy as needed.

If he bites and seems interested in your low ball offer, go see the machine and check it carefully. It has to be fully operational, Dave, or it isn't worth the cost. Parts will be difficult to come by in Canada and isn't worth making his problems your own.

Thanks @mikey
Totally agree. It’s a $120 vise not a Kurt and the collets are $30 from Banggood.
So it has to be in the $1000 range for me to be remotely interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't have space for a full size machine.

Make the space ! :big grin: For the money you're willing to spend , you could find a nice well tooled BP or clone . :) Not saying that those smaller mills aren't nice , but don't rule out full size mills in your search either . You find a good one , grab it . You'll come up with the footprint for it .

Let us know how it goes. I will bet he won't bite. He is relying on these things being difficult or expensive to get in Canada, which is true, but that doesn't mean you have to be stupid about it.

You guys are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would it cost to ship a BP from Toronto to your place Dave ? Any idea ?

Back