1/4 of the way to a mill

Thanks @Aaron_W
Even though it’s about twice my budget I’m going to get in touch just to satisfy my curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Aaron_W
Even though it’s about twice my budget I’m going to get in touch just to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm with Aaron--almost looks like an ad from the dealer? Maybe a demo, or?? Worth a look. It is a nice size. No idea about the quality of Craftex--presumably similar to BusyBee and other Chinese tool importers.

I wonder how deep Customs would be up in your stuff if you came down to the US and brought one back?

Thanks @Aaron_W

David,
I was going to give you an idea what I paid for my Enco, but I honestly can’t remember and it was only a couple years ago. I even tried looking through my old emails with no luck. Reinforces the “buy once cry once” motto. I think it was $3500US? Anyway I’m sure I’ve exceeded the mill price quite a bit with used tooling purchases. It’s a bit like golf clubs—it seems outrageous to spend $2k for a set, but at $100/round the cost of clubs is quickly exceeded (not to mention the cost of ugly pants!)

My advice—take your time, get a feel for the market, but get something you’ll grow into not out of.
Evan

The seller just used screenshots from the Busy Bee website. The ad copy notes that photos of the actual machine will be added.

This morning I sent the seller an email asking about what tooling is included and haven’t heard back yet.

I wonder how deep Customs would be up in your stuff if you came down to the US and brought one back?

Hard to say really. If it came back in pieces they might not bat an eye. But I’d expect to pay something.

The bigger challenge for us Canucks is the exchange rate, I add 37% to any US price which is the rate that I’m consistently charged for purchases in US dollars.

Last edited:
Just to be clear I'm not trying to sway you to a knee mill, simply pointing out that they are not necessarily out of the question for a small shop. Bench mills and even the dreaded round column mills are very capable. There is a poster on the forum (davidpbest) who has some strong arguments for the benefits of a bench mill vs the Bridgeport style mills mostly to do with the rigidity of the head.

I have a Sherline mini-mill which is a very small square column bench mill (50lbs), and a Clausing 8520 knee mill (900lbs). Both work well, but they are grapes and watermelons in trying to say one style or the other is superior.

Sherline on the Clausing :grin:

big and little mill.jpg

Just to be clear I'm not trying to sway you to a knee mill, simply pointing out that they are not necessarily out of the question for a small shop. Bench mills and even the dreaded round column mills are very capable. There is a poster on the forum (davidpbest) who has some strong arguments for the benefits of a bench mill vs the Bridgeport style mills mostly to do with the rigidity of the head.

I have a Sherline mini-mill which is a very small square column bench mill (50lbs), and a Clausing 8520 knee mill (900lbs). Both work well, but they are grapes and watermelons in trying to say one style or the other is superior.

Sherline on the Clausing :grin:

View attachment 312719
I think the Sherline is trembling with fear!

The Craftex seller replied to me:

'It comes with some collets / holder, some end mills , a facing tool (about 2”) and a 3/4” holder as well'

No vise? A 4" milling vise appropriate for that mill could range from a Kurt at $600 to a cheap import at $98.

I think the Sherline is trembling with fear!

No the Sherline is like a Dachshund, a small dog that thinks it is huge. :)

Back