1/3 scale Cub

Now there is a project to keep you away from the virus. Is that a kit or do you have to procure all materials and cut according to the drawings? Must give you an appreciation for the engineering that went into the Cub or are you already versed in airplane design?
Great work, fascinating to see your tools and techniques.

Now there is a project to keep you away from the virus. Is that a kit or do you have to procure all materials and cut according to the drawings? Must give you an appreciation for the engineering that went into the Cub or are you already versed in airplane design?
Great work, fascinating to see your tools and techniques.

I've built model airplanes since the early 80's, mostly kits but some where i hand cut straight from the plans. The Cub was purchased as a short kit. The wing ribs and main formers, etc come in the kit but all straight wood must be purchased and custom cut.

Here is a plane that I built completely hand cutting from plans of a late 80's kit. Another 4 year project................ As for airplane interest, it comes from my dad and uncle working for Boeing and Rockwell as aeronautical engineers. If it flies I stop and watch.

By76552.jpg

Sorry, there was this thread the other day :)

John
Yep, my dad was a pilot and I ran a small engine repair so I'm familiar with both. Sorry if it wasn't funny to you.

Nice plane.

John

Thanks for the info and photos. The only RC plane I have held in my hands was found in the reeds while I was duck hunting. Fortunately the owner had fixed a label with his name and address in it. It must be a very enjoyable hobby.

Ha! I only have one plane that will harrier and that plane can land on a picnic table even with a regular approach!

Photos?

Thanks for the info and photos. The only RC plane I have held in my hands was found in the reeds while I was duck hunting. Fortunately the owner had fixed a label with his name and address in it. It must be a very enjoyable hobby.

Photos?
The plane I referred to is a foam YAK 3d plane. Here's some of my other stuff. Nothing high end I just like flying! My motto is don't fly something you can't afford to crash! That refers to to both time and money!

Attachments

• DSC_0437.JPG
    DSC_0437.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • Ed and Aeromaster - Copy.JPG
    Ed and Aeromaster - Copy.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0150.JPG
    DSC_0150.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0760.JPG
    DSC_0760.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Oh no, not another hobby. I'm afraid you guys might be sucking me in....

I'm sitting here with my dad's David Clark headset on my desk....

To date my only experience with model airplanes was the nice bi-plane kit we built when I must have been about 7-years-old. It was one of those string controlled deals and when we started it up I took it up, then down, and then it was in a million pieces.

My dad was building a Mustang II in our garage about that time. He finished the air-frame, avionics, and got the engine mounted just in time to have to sell it when my parents divorced. I believe this is it but I haven't contacted the current owner to find out.

MustangII.jpeg

Anyway, I did have the pleasure of running the radios while he worked on his instrument rating in a Cessna 152 in the 1990's. I just have to wonder what might have been....

Back to RC, I didn't realize you could get a complete training set-up for less than $200

Something like this might just be the ticket if I can figure out where I can fly it.

Cheers,

John

Oh no, not another hobby. I'm afraid you guys might be sucking me in....

I'm sitting here with my dad's David Clark headset on my desk....

To date my only experience with model airplanes was the nice bi-plane kit we built when I must have been about 7-years-old. It was one of those string controlled deals and when we started it up I took it up, then down, and then it was in a million pieces.

My dad was building a Mustang II in our garage about that time. He finished the air-frame, avionics, and got the engine mounted just in time to have to sell it when my parents divorced. I believe this is it but I haven't contacted the current owner to find out.

View attachment 319119

Anyway, I did have the pleasure of running the radios while he worked on his instrument rating in a Cessna 152 in the 1990's. I just have to wonder what might have been....

Back to RC, I didn't realize you could get a complete training set-up for less than $200

Something like this might just be the ticket if I can figure out where I can fly it.

Cheers,

John

I’d be all over that if there was somewhere to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back