1.25" OD 6.5" stickout too much?

If I tap the outer end to run true won't the pressure from drilling move it out of true? The end of the piece is not perfectly flat so I cannot reply on it registering on the chuck face. I do have a mill so I guess I could true up the ends.

Last edited:
Unless the end was cut at some bad angle, it'll self center. Try it. You'll see.

If the end is THAT bad, cut it off straight.

Since you have a mill i wanted to post some pictures of when I machined the end of a 1 1/2” boring bar . You could locate center and done it this way , even though your project might be best done on your lathe . Just something to keep in mind for the future

Attachments

• E5C7EAD6-BB03-4ACC-BA16-4BE1242323F6.jpeg
    E5C7EAD6-BB03-4ACC-BA16-4BE1242323F6.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 24
  • F1D325FE-700A-45E3-8C3D-327D6998F8A7.jpeg
    F1D325FE-700A-45E3-8C3D-327D6998F8A7.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 24
Since you have a mill i wanted to post some pictures of when I machined the end of a 1 1/2” boring bar . You could locate center and done it this way , even though your project might be best done on your lathe . Just something to keep in mind for the future
How did you locate center and 90degree vertical? Indicator?

OMG that must be one hell of a boring bar!!!!!!!!!

@Alcap not trying to derail this thread but i see you have a Clausing mill. Do you have a DRO? How did you do your X scale. Im working on mine right now but im trying to figure out how to not block my oiler.

@Alcap not trying to derail this thread but i see you have a Clausing mill. Do you have a DRO? How did you do your X scale. Im working on mine right now but im trying to figure out how to not block my oiler.
The best way to find center in that case isn't a DRO IMO, its a coax indicator (or even just an indicator mounted to the spindle).

The best way to find center in that case isn't a DRO IMO, its a coax indicator (or even just an indicator mounted to the spindle).
I was talking about how he may have mounted the x scale for the DRO. Not for the part.

Back