Yet another common carrier rant, this time FedEx

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just a complaint, I guess, to get this off my chest. FedEx lost (more likely the box was pilfered?) a small box containing an Ikea Lack table. I had wanted to build an enclosure for my 3d printer. I ordered the acrylic set for the enclosure (and received it) and was waiting for the Ikea table. Ordered earlier in January. It was shipped from PA. On Jan 24. The first stop in PA (NorthHampton) Fedex "lost" the box on Jan 24th. On the 25th FedEx said my package would be delivered on the 26th, but never updated the exclamation point in the tracking. To this day, they did not inform either myself, or Ikea the nature of the problem. You might say an exclamation point is informing me, but ! by itself means nothing.

Since I am not the FedEx customer (only indirectly) I called Ikea. They are nearly as bad as FedEx to get through, but I did get to speak to a human eventually. Got bounced to another agent. During the transfer, they piped in muzak, which is lame enough, but the volume was 20 times louder than the previous call agent. Really hurt the old ears, and was quite surprising.

Eventually got to the second, apparently authorized person, who actually called FedEx and then spoke to me. She confirmed to me that FedEx couldn't "find" the package. It's possible it's in some dark corner in the warehouse, but I'd bet it found a new home... Ikea offered to send me another table and quoted me a time when I'd receive it. After thinking about it, I decided to ask for a refund instead. Ikea was accommodating and processed a credit back to my CC. I don't have much of a beef with Ikea, save for their very loud muzak/ad phone system.

But I can 't understand the behavior of FedEx. How long were they going to wait before admitting to anyone the package was gone? Why didn't they report it to either the originator or the customer? Seems irresponsible.

I think it's the storm back east. I had the same thing just happen with an amazon order. "Your package may be lost" they say. So I got a refund and ordered the same items again- we'll see

Me four, but my experience with FedEx Freight and FedEx Express (as opposed to Ground) has always been stellar.

I work as a UPS driver, and the FedEx Ground driver on my route disappoints my customers a lot. He drives *really* fast in the mountainous area.

My experience with FedEx has been getting worse over the last couple of years. Anything that comes from FedEx gets a dozen notices. They tell me it has been shipped and to expect it say Thursday. Then I get more notices saying Thursday. On Thursday I get a notice saying it is out for delivery. Later Thursday I get a notice saying It has been delayed. That would lead me to believe that the truck broke down, but no, they don't have it yet. Then I get a notice saying Saturday. Then Sunday. Then they deliver on Monday without saying a word. On the other hand, they must be great for the environment, since they don't put anything in plastic, no matter how hard it is raining. I have gotton more then one soggy cardboard pile on the concrete slab or porch. There is a car parked at top of driveway with sign saying leave in vehicle. Post Office, Amazon, UPS can read. FedEx is illiterate.

I was looking out the window across the street and saw a FedEx delivery. I heard the box hitting the ground with a bang - through a closed window and storm window 100 feet away. I couldn't tell if he threw it, or it fell out of his hands. But it was pretty loud thud. There's a sign on my neighbors front door that all deliveries go to the side door. Guy ran away, and jumped in his truck and sped off. Most other delivery services go to the side door...

I think it's the storm back east. I had the same thing just happen with an amazon order. "Your package may be lost" they say. So I got a refund and ordered the same items again- we'll see
There wasn't a storm. It was a few days before. Basically, the package vanished at the first FedEx depot it arrived at. I mean stuff happens, but, take responsibility for it. I have to take responsibility for things, why shouldn't they?

I wasn't going to chance the package going through the same FedEx location and cancelled the order.

Every carrier disappoints once in a while, and they're all about on the same level in that regard. I once paid the extravagant sum of $70 (20 years ago) to get some shooting gear in time for a weekend match. Yep - UPS failed and the gear was delivered on Monday without so much as a refund of expedite charges. Since then I've had minor disappointments multiple times. At the end of the day it's a small miracle that we can ship stuff as inexpensively as we do.

GsT

Back