WOOT Deals on Amazon Fire Tablets

ChazzC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Some great pricing on Fire Tablets (& Kindles if you need one) until the end of August:

https://computers.woot.com/plus/ama...ontent=Subheader-B&ref_=pe_3185080_1031556410

Some items only have a 90 day warranty, but others may be eligible for add-on protection plans (there will be a link to the protection plan at the bottom of the item listing:

20240820 WOOT Fire Tablet Sale.png

Funny, I saw this same deal today and decided to come here for recommendations. Do you have experience with these tablets and TouchDRO? I need a cheap tablet that I can dedicate and leave in the garage for this purpose.

Funny, I saw this same deal today and decided to come here for recommendations. Do you have experience with these tablets and TouchDRO? I need a cheap tablet that I can dedicate and leave in the garage for this purpose.

I have a refurbished Fire HD10 (from WOOT, upgraded from a Samsung 8” in February) on the iGaging/TouchDRO setup on my Mini-Mill and a refurbished HD8 (from Amazon) for almost a year on my Mini-Lathe iGaging/TouchDRO installation, and they work well.

I did run into an issue back in June after an App update: initially Yuriy couldn’t replicate it, but then found something and issued another update that fixed the problem. This kind of support is why I (and many others) recommend TouchDRO and Yuriy.

Charlie

Last edited:
Amazon tablets are natively supported. I.e. I test the app on two different Fire tablets, and there is a native app version in the Amazon App store. The release cycle is slower, since I have to jump through some extra legal hoops to post the app there.
Regards
Yuriy

I bought a cheap Fire tablet and although I had to jump through a few hoops at the time it definitely does work with Touch DRO.

It's awesome having a vendor here who developed such an excellent product and supports it as well as anyone I've ever seen.

Thanks for the tip on cheap tablets, I may need to buy a bigger one even though I already have the little guy. I'm a Cupertino native but completely understand the challenges for developers (my high school buddy built the app store). Maybe some day....

John

Okay, all sold out now. Keep looking, they'll probably find more....

John

Amazon tablets are natively supported. I.e. I test the app on two different Fire tablets, and there is a native app version in the Amazon App store. The release cycle is slower, since I have to jump through some extra legal hoops to post the app there.
Regards
Yuriy
Ah, I didn't even think to check in the Amazon app store for the TouchDRO app. I just went ahead and side-loaded the Google APKs in order to be able to use the Google Play store and got the app that way.

I got an 8" for $24 from Woot, and it's in very good condition. Looks almost new in fact, despite being a 2020 model.

After reading the add, these are subsidized units. This means that they will play sponsored adds on the screen saver and home screens. You can pay an extra $15 to make the adds go away. I would probably pay to make the adds go away. I hate adds on anything.

After reading the add, these are subsidized units. This means that they will play sponsored adds on the screen saver and home screens. You can pay an extra $15 to make the adds go away. I would probably pay to make the adds go away. I hate adds on anything.

The ads only appear on the Home Screen: when you are using an app you don’t even know they exist. Also, they are all in a banner that doesn’t interfere with accessing anything on the Home Screen. It’s not like YT where the ads are shoved in your face.

Back