Wilton Verti-Lock Vice Quality?

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was given a Wilton 1280N 8" vice with rotating base. It says it's made in Taiwan. I can't find any real reviews of them or much on if they are decent vices. It's a bit large for my 9x42 Bridgeport, but if it is a decent vice I may just use it instead of getting a 6" vice which seems to be the better size for the mill. I am not taking it on and off, so not worried about moving it a lot, but it is certainly heavy.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about them?

i-6pZ5snq-X2.jpg

If the price is attractive, and you want an 8", go for it.

I have no direct experience but my reasoning is:
It looks in good shape.
It's badged by a very reputable vise company.
My guess is it's an exact (as legal) copy of a Kurt.

The price was right, it was free :). That's the real question, is an 8" vice just really too big for a smaller Bridgeport.
IMO, absolutely too big.

Sell it or trade it for a 6" or 5" or 4" (if you primarily do small work).
So far, you're way ahead on this deal.

I've been using an identical vise with the Palmgren name minus the swivel base on my 1 1/2 hp Bridgeport for over 20 years. It's heavy to move around, but easy to use and accurate as far as being square. It's the go to vise for most things.

I also have a 6" Bridgeport I use with the swivel base. It doesn't get used nearly as much as the 8"

I used an 8" Kurt vise on a BP mill with the 48" table for several years. It worked very well. If you don't intend to take it off and on the mill, the size really doesn't make much difference and you can certainly hold work pieces in the 8" that you can't in a 6". Personally I would remove the swivel base, mount the vise, get it dialed in as perfectly as you can and just leave it in place.
Ted

Taiwanese chucks tend to be quite well made, as others mentioned this style tends to follow the older Kurt vise design which has been around for decades. I have a two Parlec 6" (made in Taiwan) and they also used the same design and are very well made, Wilton brand these days just puts their name on products, newer equipment from this has declined in quality. A 8" vise is a bit big unless you have a 10x54 table, otherwise a 6" is more versatile. A 10" vise of this type, in good condition and with a swivel base is usually quite expensive so may be a get a good price if you can find someone who is looking for one with a bigger mill. Might also consider selling the base and vise separately, might get more vs. if attached they will won't it with the vise and no pay you anymore. Ironically I have a Kurt swivel base for my vise (vise is exactly the same dimensions as the older Kurt D668), but have never used it in the last 12 years.

Parlec 6", about as big as one can fit on a 9x42" mill table.
1727536261847.jpeg

Ask any woman ......................6" or 8" . :grin big: In any case , nothing wrong with that 8" on a BP . :encourage: As I always said

" It takes a big broom to sweep the room , but the little ones get the corners " . :big grin:

Back