Why Millions of Smoke Alarms Can’t Catch Modern Fires

If anyone hasn't heard of this, I've got a couple of things to toss out-

First, if you havn't heard of it, take a minute to think about how long it's been since you've replaced your smoke detectors. 10 years is about their useful lifespan. This is well older than that, you might not have the protection that you think you do.
The ionization ones have a "half life". The photoelectric ones are subject to aging and life span of the materials. 10 years is the life span they are to have, so nobody's making 20 year ones.

The reason we have two types still available is because they are recommended for different areas of the home. If one were "obsolete" or "didin't work", we wouldn't have it.

Every major manufacturer has excellent information on this on their web site. Some even have condensed advice on the packaging.

The advice from manufacturers and NFPA does NOT always agree with local codes, and sometimes the two flat out disagree. Lots of places have decided that this one or that one is better, and requires it. Everybody (I think) has to hard wire them now, I think the current count and placement is standardized, but which one goes can be is local.

Bottom line, do read up if/when it's time to update yours. Chit's changed a lot since these things were invented.

Back