Why is a shop called a shop?

My first thought was the same as @projectnut - what we spend our money on.

My wife doesn’t refer to the space, just “all that junk you have down there:” I try to explain that very little of my investments have been made in items from Dave (@mmcmdl) - love ya, buddy!

I call it a shed but on here I call it a shop.
Another strange word is root.
Its the underground part of a plant.
but in England you root through things to look for something, in the US you root for your team in support, in Oz you --- I wont go into that.

The term shop seems to have more widespread use in the UK, referring to any small retail place of business. I suspect the usage goes back to a time when most of the retail businesses were small entities, e.g., the blacksmith shop, the machine shop, etc. In the US, we tend to use the term store to refer to retail businesses. but still reserving shop for small to medium manufacturing businesses.

It must take you several weeks to FART ! LOL

Err. no. never had a that problem, quite the opposite. My missus is constantly wearing a peg on her nose these days ;)

My wife doesn’t refer to the space, just “all that junk you have down there:” I try to explain that very little of my investments have been made in items from Dave (@mmcmdl) - love ya, buddy!
I'm always here to help out ! :grin: I'll get this darn garage cleared out once and for all . ( have to make room for more tractors ) :encourage:

Being from Australia and just to confuse matters, I will get it all wrong.
I call my workshop just that, it is where I work and it is a shop where I offer my customers a service.
However my Shed is my home workshop / mess / Kelpie playground but I don't sell anything from there.
And until the Sparky/Electrician gets here, I won't be making much of anything in it, so no work.

The term shop seems to have more widespread use in the UK, referring to any small retail place of business. I suspect the usage goes back to a time when most of the retail businesses were small entities, e.g., the blacksmith shop, the machine shop, etc. In the US, we tend to use the term store to refer to retail businesses. but still reserving shop for small to medium manufacturing businesses.
When I first went to work for GM, I had to get used to the manufacturing floor being called "The Shop Floor". Then there were "Shop Rules". And when someone said something vulgar it was referred to as "Shop Talk" I fed my two little boys and first wife by working in a Bonafide "Welding Shop". And when we had a little extra money, I would take my wife "Shopping" So that kind of sums up my confusion.

Back