Which insert do I need?

I don’t have a band saw

An old gunsmith friend advised me to get a band saw the moment I brought the mill and lathe in the garage. I did the minimalist approach on the bandsaw. I bought a HF special. Besides reinforcing the base, everything is in stock config.

The $200 unit served me well since 2015. The only thing that ever broke was the saw blade. Cutting over 200 barrels, along some odds and ends project, the unit is still tiking.

Those handheld portable band saws also work well. I know a gunsmith in town who cuts barrel ends with one while barrel is chucked up

I did the minimalist approach on the bandsaw. I bought a HF special.
As did I. Nine years ago and haven't had a problem with it. Use it a lot more than I thought I would, outside of smithing (little welding projects around the hacienda). There's some pretty cool mods on YouTube, such as modifying the vise to hold shorter stock which is something I'd like to do.

As did I. Nine years ago and haven't had a problem with it. Use it a lot more than I thought I would, outside of smithing (little welding projects around the hacienda). There's some pretty cool mods on YouTube, such as modifying the vise to hold shorter stock which is something I'd like to do.
I started out with the Jet equivalent. Got ~5 years out of it, then got a bigger saw. Sold the Jet to a friend, and the last I heard it was still chugging along. They have some cheesy features (the stand being the main one), but they just go and go...

GsT

Nobody has mentioned using a box tool for this job. See video on this site called face and chamfer with a box tool. The box tool can be used in a turret or a cross slide.
Jimsehr

Back