Where to mount Lathe on stand

DmarionK

Registered
Registered
I bought the Husky 72in toolbox to mount the lathe on top. Before I start drilling holes to fix the lathe to the toolbox are there any recommendations of where to mount the lathe? Keep it dead center, center but towards the back, more to the left to leave room on the right for tools?
What is your opinion?

Attachments

• 20240921_115558.jpg
    20240921_115558.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 18
My suggestion would be to make sure the subsequent hardware will not interfere with the functionality of the top drawers.

Sent from my SM-G736U using Tapatalk

My suggestion would be to make sure the subsequent hardware will not interfere with the functionality of the top drawers.

Sent from my SM-G736U using Tapatalk
The way the box is constructed that wont be an issue. Husky has A frame on top. I could also use button head cap screws to keep things low.

I would only be concerned if the tool chest has swivel casters, and the lathe was mounted too far to the front. In that case, if one or more heavily loaded, drawers were opened, while the casters were rotated towards the back, the whole thing could tip forward. Otherwise, whatever feels comfortable, makes sense.

What is the top of that toolbox made of? If it's sheet metal, you are going to want something stiffer.
IMO the bare minimum for mounting that lathe would be two layers of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together. Sized to cover the entire top of the toolbox, so loads are transferred to the edges of the top and from there into the sides of the toolbox.

I would only be concerned if the tool chest has swivel casters, and the lathe was mounted too far to the front. In that case, if one or more heavily loaded, drawers were opened, while the casters were rotated towards the back, the whole thing could tip forward. Otherwise, whatever feels comfortable, makes sense.
The issue with tipping was also my concern.

That is a fairly light lathe and it will depend on the stand for rigidity. Casters are fine for moving it into place, but the toolbox should be solidly mounted (on leveling feet, not casters) before you start to level and tune the lathe. Feet will also help the tipping issue.

What is the top of that toolbox made of? If it's sheet metal, you are going to want something stiffer.
IMO the bare minimum for mounting that lathe would be two layers of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together. Sized to cover the entire top of the toolbox, so loads are transferred to the edges of the top and from there into the sides of the toolbox.
I'm not sure. It said stainless steel top, I'm assuming its stainless sheetmetal wrapped around plywood. The top did not seem to flex at all when I set down the lathe on the bench top.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to mount the lathe a little bit behind of center and install leveling feet in place of the casters. Thanks guys. I'll post an update when time allows me to complete the task.

I had something like this actually happen. It was a heavily loaded Snap-On rollaround tool box, nothing mounted on top. Just rolling it along a sidewalk where the wheels caught in one of the expansion joints and the drawers slide out and tipped it all forward. It was too heavy to just pull back up and I ended up emptying the how thing. Bottom drawer flexed and bent the slide enough that the drawer won't go back in. It also broke the little lever that releases the drawer so it can be removed.

Back