What Did You Buy Today?

The Hardinge lathe and the Peerless saw just left the premises . New home found in Lancaster Pa ! :encourage: :encourage:
Amish or Mennonite?

The Amish Carriage Machine Shop in Paradise (Lancaster County, not West Baltimore!): all of their machines have hydraulic motors with the pump driven by a diesel (not electricity).

I have been looking for a Set-Tru 3 jaw 10" scroll chuck for quite awhile, mostly for when I am turning large diameter stock with a fair amount of stick out. I have a 3 jaw 6" scroll PBA Setrite (UK version) that I use quite a bit and had been looking for a 10" PBA or Bison/TMX. Prices in past years was much more reasonable, but the pricing of the 10" chucks has almost doubled in the last couple of years. The Set-Tru back plates are also quite expensive, in particular the forged steel ones. Recently an eBay seller had two Bison forged steel 10" chucks and they just happened to also include the 10" D1-4 Set-Tru back plate. Not inexpensive but 1/2 the cost if I bought both from an online store. Was a bit worried when it showed up as the box was trashed.

Didn't come with a chuck key so I made my own out of O1 steel, oil hardened the key, pressed in the T-bar and then blackened the surface. Chuck mounted up well and was able to zero the TIR, it is quite a nice chuck but at about 100 lbs with the back plate a bit much to lift up into position. Next project is to make a sled for the ways, just a bit too awkward to mount otherwise and have it role down on my foot.

Chuck spins up smoothly but my the VFD groans a bit coming up to speed, it also brakes it down to a stop in 1-2 seconds, faster than my manual brake. Without braking the chuck spins for a very long time before stopping. Chuck is very well balanced with no lathe vibration at spinning the chuck at speed. Bison/TMX chucks are very nicely made an accurate in my experience. This is my 3rd Bison chuck.

Was not impressed by the sellers packing, surprised the chuck didn't fall out of the box.
20240426_113414.jpg

So much for the original styrofoam packing.
20240426_113621.jpg

Run out zeroed down to around 0.0001" with a precision ground rod with no change at different measuring points. Chuck key I made from 3/4" O1 steel with a 14 mm square key, it make my other chuck keys look like toys.
20240427_140218.jpg

About as big a diameter as one can go with a D1-4 mount. Back plate is by TMX, which is interchangeable with Bison. Stub pins appeared to be hardened, still a lot of mass when it gets going.
20240427_140458.jpg

@SouthernChap

Remember this and the brief convo over the pallet/cross slide mount for it?
Picked up a small tilt & swivel milling slide for the 7x.... Have a job to do that needs an accurate slot milling....

Now I have to hurry up and wait for it to arrive.

View attachment 487770

Well, it arrived today :) :)

The pallet for the C/Slide is actually a nice direct fit, though I would say use a couple of slightly shorter cap screws, otherwise they protrude enough to bite into the leadscrew of the C/Slide. May just make up a couple of spacers and use the original bolts to save a headache.

Other than that, 5 minutes deburring the gib and the dovetail edges of the slide improved the action. Decided to fit it loosly to see how it behaved.

1.jpg

2.jpg

A coworker delivered a vise to me this morning... he found it on FBMP last week and grabbed it for me...

20240429_071253.jpg

20240429_071243.jpg

20240429_071221.jpg

It's an Athol 113... 3 inch jaws, about 25 pounds or so. It is fairly tight with very little play in the slide and screw... there are no cracks or repairs, but does have some minor 'character marks' around the jaws.

-Bear

Back