What can you make out of this?

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So far I can make nothing. The cast-iron is hard as Woodpecker Lips. I first tried a metal cutting blade in my Sawzall . It lafffed at the blade. Today I used a blace that has Carbide Grit and it is such a slow process I'm about ready to pull out the angle grinder and sledge hammer. Cast iron is not easy to come by and McMaster Carr is extremely proud of theirs. I have 1 foot of 2" round that I paid $50 for and 1 foot of 1'x2" flat bar that I also paid $50 for. If I can cut the crankshaft into managable peices there are many items that I would like to make. Some stackable round set-up spacers With a little creativity some good blocks of cast iron could be made out of the counter weights. Feel free to weigh in. One guy on here said he made a straight edge out of a truck flywheel. I love creativity. Feel free to comment even if it is a funny comment.

Attachments

• IMG_3210.JPG
    IMG_3210.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3211.JPG
    IMG_3211.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 70
Are you sure that's a cast crank and not a forged crank? Maybe cut it up with a grinder and anneal it?

Found this online - maybe it'll help with identifying if it's forged or cast.

1719888564483.jpeg

It is cast iron. I checked the parting line. Click on the first picture and enlarge it. You will see the parting on the journal closest to the front of the crank.

Probably need to anneal it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try sawing in the thickest section. In my brief dalliance with iron casting I found that I could cast uncuttable material, particularly when making a thin cross-section.

GsT

It is cast iron. I checked the parting line. Click on the first picture and enlarge it. You will see the parting on the journal closest to the front of the crank.
There are some cast steel and cast "high nickel" steel cranks floating about, not common but certainly not rare either and both far tougher than Cast iron.

Back