What can be better than owning a surface grinder?

Because a surface grinder is a precision machine, I found it difficult to assess condition when buying. Dealers and sellers were often vague about tolerances held over a given area. ( It grinds great ) I understand there are many factors at play, chuck, base positioning and leveling, technique, etc etc but I found that connecting with a seller that knew how to grind, knew the machine, and was willing to give advice on how to operate for best results was worth a fair amount extra in price. in my case it made the Taiwan compromise much easier to accept.

Dave

This is a small part of why I got a manual feed grinder, much as I would like hydraulic.
My smaller grinder that’s 6X18” has electric servo motor feeds both the longitudinal and cross feed. That so far works great. Or simply hand crank the handles if you don’t care to set them. My larger 12x24” grinder is hydraulic longitudinal and electric cross Feed and spindle height control. It takes 40 gallons.. The good news I had two 55 gallon drums of hydraulic oil that I purchased long before the last big price increase.

Last edited:
Mine also came with the "accu-dresser", but it was removed to accommodate the Vac-U-Guard. I'm not that impressed with the dust collection and have been trying to figure out how to be able to use the dresser. Thinking about a large (coffee) funnel placed where the blast shield is and attached to the vacuum. I don't have the original wheel guard that would have the cut-out for the dresser.
The Vac-U-Guard is meant for EDM Electrode carbon grinding. And works great. I add a 3” dia vacuum floor suction adapter on the lower left side and near the cutting surface and the Vac-U-Guard as low as possible. That works well on steel. With vacuum on both the guard and adapter.

Back