WAY OT--Looking for a New Broadcast Fertilizer Spreader

projectnut

Registered
Registered
As the title suggests I'm in the market for a new lawn fertilizer spreader. We have roughly an acre between the 2 properties, and I've always done the fertilizing (4 times a year at each place) with a walk behind broadcast spreader. The last 10 years or so I've used the Scotts brand spreaders with the "edge guard". The guard makes it much easier to fertilize with weed killer along the edges of the gardens without doing damage to the plantings.

What used to take an hour or so now takes the better part of an afternoon. The gardens at both places surround not only the house, but also the perimeter of the property. I'm tired of walking up and down the hills and would much rather do the job from the seat of the JD or the Case tractor.

I've found a few spreaders I think will do the job. I'm leaning toward one that would fit on a 3-point hitch (with a standard 2" hitch adaptor like this) rather than a tow behind. I'm sure they both work well, but the tow behind takes up more storage room than I have available.

Here are a couple of the spreaders I'm interested in. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who has them and can only rely on "reviews" for opinions as to how well they are built, and how well they work. The first one comes with a 2" square tube mount that fits a standard trailer hitch. The second one offers it as an accessory

I would appreciate information from anyone who is familiar with either of the afore mentioned units, or is aware of other units that might fit the bill.

I like my Frontier 3-point hitch spreader. I have made some mods to it to suit me. The mod I like best is the remote control chute lever (really hated to turn around for the lever). I really like that it is PTO driven. I did have to do a major mod on getting it to be quick hitch compliant. I also had to make a new aluminum spreading disc. The original was made of plastic and broke. Good luck on your search.

Here is my set up.

Remote Mod 04.JPGSpreader Mounted 2.JPGSpreader_Mod-8.JPG

Remote Mod 01.JPGRemote Mod 02.JPG

That's a nice-looking unit. Unfortunately, I think it's a bit large for my situation. It appears your unit is capable of holding up to 500 lbs. of seed or fertilizer. When using the Scotts brand fertilizers I only use around 50 lbs. per application. I do like the fact that it's PTO driven.

What model JD is yours attached to? I'll be using whatever I find on a JD445 with all wheel steering. It has full hydraulics and front, middle, and rear PTO shafts. The tractor alone weighs just under 1,000 lbs. and normally carries 300 lbs. of suitcase and wheel weights. I don't have a quick attach for the 3 point, so I'd like to keep the weight of the spreader under 100 lbs.

I'm also looking for something with a sliding baffle that can be engaged to stop fertilizer/weed killer from going into the gardens. I see a number of them offer what they refer to as a "guide" which will "predominantly direct" the contents either left or right. The walk behind I'm currently using totally blocks anything from being discharged to the right side when engaged. When disengaged it has 180* spread pattern 5 feet wide. I'm looking for something that will roughly duplicate the current spread patterns and distance.

That's a nice-looking unit. Unfortunately, I think it's a bit large for my situation. It appears your unit is capable of holding up to 500 lbs. of seed or fertilizer. When using the Scotts brand fertilizers I only use around 50 lbs. per application. I do like the fact that it's PTO driven.

What model JD is yours attached to? I'll be using whatever I find on a JD445 with all wheel steering. It has full hydraulics and front, middle, and rear PTO shafts. The tractor alone weighs just under 1,000 lbs. and normally carries 300 lbs. of suitcase and wheel weights. I don't have a quick attach for the 3 point, so I'd like to keep the weight of the spreader under 100 lbs.

I'm also looking for something with a sliding baffle that can be engaged to stop fertilizer/weed killer from going into the gardens. I see a number of them offer what they refer to as a "guide" which will "predominantly direct" the contents either left or right. The walk behind I'm currently using totally blocks anything from being discharged to the right side when engaged. When disengaged it has 180* spread pattern 5 feet wide. I'm looking for something that will roughly duplicate the current spread patterns and distance.

Yeah, I can put six 50lbs bags in the hopper.

I run two tractors, a 2305 and a 2520. They are just a bit bigger than your 445.

I finally bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a Chaplin 8622B tow behind spreader. After looking at more than 200 different styles, types, and models this was the only brand tha had an auto shutoff when the vehicle pulling it stopped loving.

I’ll still have to make some modifications to add an “edge guard” similar to the one on my walk behind Scott’s spreader.

It’s supposed to be delivered this afternoon. If it gets here soon enough I’ll assemble it and attempt to fertilize the lawn.

Look into making the switch to liquids.

I’m in the process of doing this and there are huge savings to be had in both costs and time.

“Sprayer” systems don’t really spray, but emit small droplets that are controllable. More like a drench than a spray.

ETA: Oops, too late.

Thanks for the response. Over the years we've tried a number of both liquid and dry fertilizers. Our experience has been even though the liquids work it takes six or more applications throughout the year. The better dry fertilizers take only 3 or 4 applications. We've pretty much settled on Scotts dry products. They have performed very well, are easy to apply, and last at least a couple months.

To that end we've been using a Scotts Pro broadcast spreader. It works well but requires a fair amount of walking. Over the past few years I've been having a myriad of back problems that severely limit the distance I can walk. I used to be able to fertilize both the front and back lawns in about an hour. It took about the same amount of time to do the lawn at the family cottage. With the back problems it sometimes takes 4 hours to complete each of the properties.

I finally purchased one of these:

I was hoping it would be delivered early enough yesterday that I could assemble it and fertilize the lawn at home. As it turned out it didn't arrive until after 7:00 PM. I was able to unpack it to be sure there was no damage, but that's as far as I got. We're currently at the cottage finishing up a few projects before it's time to bring in the boat and pier for the season.

New would be really nice. Always have to get everything going after this one sits.

I have an Old Kent / Co-Op pull behind for my tractor. It does the job so far. Dry materials only

Attachments

• fertilizer 012.JPG
    fertilizer 012.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 4
New is ok, but I would much prefer something like your Kent. I love the classics. They're built like tanks, and all but impossible to kill. Unlike more modern machines they can actually be rebuilt should something wear out or break. I'm sure the Chaplin I bought will last a few years. However, if something does break, I'll be surprised if replacement pars will be available.

I gave up on broadcast spreaders for my 1 acre and went to a liquid boom sprayer.

Back