VFD questions

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all, Here to ask a couple questions about a VFD. I am ready to pull the trigger on a VFD purchase for my Harig 618 surface grinder and I’m stuck,lol. Comes down to the Fuji or the hitachi wj200 however I’m not sure even which one to order. There’s so many. Was hoping for a little guidance. Thanks

I have a tiny bit of VFD experience, including a basic Teco unit for a surface grinder.
Compared to a VFD on a lathe or mill, a surface grinder VFD is not going to need advanced functions like jog or even braking.

I have a tiny bit of VFD experience, including a basic Teco unit for a surface grinder.
Compared to a VFD on a lathe or mill, a surface grinder VFD is not going to need advanced functions like jog or even braking.
Yes sir, you’re right. There’s just so damn many. I figured I would go with a 2hp since I’m running a 1hp motor. Then I got to looking and there’s one that’s a micro unit and one that has sensor less vectoring, whatever that is. Was hoping to maybe bump into the VFD guru that could point me in the right direction. I appreciate your reply

I've also only got a little VFD experience. However, sensor less vector is a fancy function beyond what you'd need to run a regular induction motor. I don't think you need to oversized the VFD. I'd go with the VDF that looks best to you. Do you need the extra inputs or outputs or features? Or are you just converting single phase to split?

I've also only got a little VFD experience. However, sensor less vector is a fancy function beyond what you'd need to run a regular induction motor. I don't think you need to oversized the VFD. I'd go with the VDF that looks best to you. Do you need the extra inputs or outputs or features? Or are you just converting single phase to split?
Don’t really need any extra features, outside of converting 3 phase to spit. Wasn’t sure if sensorless was something I would rather have or not on a grinder. So it’s best to stay with a 1 hp vfd? That would save me a little cash as well. Just figured it wouldn’t hurt to go bigger but I don’t know. That’s why I’m here asking. I appreciate you helping me

I'm not sure about "best" to stay with 1 HP, but from what I know, you'll see no benefit from paying the extra for a 2 HP.

I'm less confident in sensorless vector, but I think it gives you a wider speed range. I'm not sure that's needed for a surface grinder. If it doesn't cost much, no harm. But if it doubles the price, I'd skip it unless you find out that it is required.

I really like the hitachi drives, done several now. Manual a bit easier to read and programming it a bit easier.

But its a bit like ford vs.chevy => both good. Get the one you like, just stay away from the elcheapo no name chinese units.

As other have said you don't need to overrate the VFD unless you expect to use it on a larger motor in the future.

Sensorless Vector provides for more torque at lower RPMs, something that I would think is less useful for a grinder which is probably always running at full (3600) RPM. For a mill or lathe it is a good thing to have, but probably not available on the cheaper VFDs.

I happen to like the WJ200 units and have a couple in service for some number of years. The Teco units also seem to have a good rep and might be cheaper.

Back