Trailers ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have to pull the trigger on an enclosed trailer very soon . Looking at a 24 ft x 8 1/2 foot down in Georgia to pick up . This will be used for storage as well as as camping trailer up north . I'm in talks with the manufacture's now and have to make a quick decision . The budget I set is being eating up quick . So far , I want the 8 1/2 foot interior height , escape door , would need the tie downs on the sides as well as D rings on the floor . My issue is the electrical part . I need some ideas as I already have generators and 9 volt deep cycle batteries etc .

Not sure what your question is?

I have to pull the trigger on an enclosed trailer very soon . Looking at a 24 ft x 8 1/2 foot down in Georgia to pick up . This will be used for storage as well as as camping trailer up north . I'm in talks with the manufacture's now and have to make a quick decision . The budget I set is being eating up quick . So far , I want the 8 1/2 foot interior height , escape door , would need the tie downs on the sides as well as D rings on the floor . My issue is the electrical part . I need some ideas as I already have generators and 9 volt deep cycle batteries etc .
Can't provide any meaning full assistance, but What: there's something you don't already have two (or five) of???

Just wondering if something like these vs having the manufacturer install lights is worth looking into . I don't want to be hauling a 400 lb generator around . I run a small 900 watt to charge up batteries when camping . The 4 Runners have inverters in the back also . I want to start using up what I already have sitting here is the goal . I'm looking for the opinions of others here as what they feel is the best way to proceed ?

What loads are you looking to support?

If it's just lights you might look at a solar panel, one deep cycle battery, and a maximum power point charger. That's what I put in my FIRST Robotics storage shipping container. Works great with a motion sensor. About 10 serious LED strip down the 40' length.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I dont think the mfg will put in enough lights to make you happy

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I’d do the wiring and eTrack myself. Lighting is easy with LED’s now and can easily run off a battery. Definitely solar on the roof.

Unless you just want turn key, but make sure to spec exactly what you want as you’ll pay a premium to have them do it.

I’d do the wiring and eTrack myself. Lighting is easy with LED’s now and can easily run off a battery. Definitely solar on the roof.
That's what I wanted to hear Matt ! Waiting on her quote for the E Trac now , but most likely I'll install it after figuring out where exactly I'll need them .

Separate from ALL other electrical shenanigans, at least minimal lighting with solar/small battery. DIY or kits. You will ALWAYS need lighting and it doesn't take a lot.

Tie down points? E track. Very flexible system, lots of accessories, the straps cost the same as any other strap. Plus there's various hooks and hangers you can clip in to hold stuff directly. So there is a "buy in" to the system, but in a trailer that size, it's a good system, and need not be an huge expense. You can get "industrial" brands of stuff for lots of money, but unless you're doing LTL deliveries for a living, you're not gonna wear out a Harbor Freight strap and ratchet. Talk to the trailer manufacturer as to how it is installed on THEIR trailer walls and THEIR floors. Drywall screws won't cut it obviously, but they might want proper wood screws, they may want rivets from the outside.... The floor will be different from the walls... Are you tying to the walls, tying to the floor for wheels.... That's the sort of thing that they charge DEARLY for. To do it takes hours to get the first one, but after that, all of those ten million little fasteners go quick.

What else are you hoping to do with this? "Camping trailer up north? Are you gonna put bunks in it? Or just carry stuff? Personally (it's use case, it's YOUR use, so I can't tell you what to do), but if it were me, aside from those two "basics", if you wanted "real" power inside, I'd do that 100 percent separate from the solar LED "basic functional lighting". A power receptacle for whatever generator you already own, a small load center "somewhere that suits you", probably and hopefully right close to where the receptacle engers, and whatever "real electrical stuff" you want to run for your storage, mobile machine shop, bitcoin mining operation, or mobile command center can be done to suit with (mostly) standard box store electrical shenanigans.

As was already said, it's hard to offer "exact" solutions to a problem that's loosely defined. There's a LOT of options.

The quote for the Etracs installed added $2400 ! I don't think I'll be getting them installed at the dealer . :rolleyes: :eek:

Back