Tool for setting tool height. Tools for tools , it never ends !

The height setting tool for dad's lathe is a block of HRS, approximately 2" wide, 1" thick and some 7.4883" long. I just match up the height by raising the adjusting nut on the QCTP holder until I can't catch my fingernail running from the top of the block to the tip of the insert. Simple, and completely non-adjustable....just like the center height of the spindle on the lathe. :D

Nice job coal miner it looks awesome. Paddy could you take a picture of your height setting tool and post? It's wild how so many different ideas are dreamed up.

nice job! i really like it,sure beats the feeler gauge blade pinch routine i use,, looks way faster with your gauge.
im really curious about the degree wheel? is that just hanging there for the picture?(im,assuming) or are you using a degree wheel to set somthing up on your machine??
take care miner..

Gary , I was using the degree wheel to mark out and drill and tap a hub for a drill press that had 3 handles threaded into the hub set 120º apart . The degree wheel was cobbled up w/ a print out of the 360º circle taken off the web and glued to a piece of sheet metal . The hub is an expanding collett that fits the bore of the spindle . The magnet is glued in the delrin piece w/the pointer .

IMG_0007-3.jpg

IMG_0001-5.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0013-3.jpg

IMG_0007-3.jpg

IMG_0001-5.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0013-3.jpg

IMG_0007-3.jpg

IMG_0001-5.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0013-3.jpg

thanks for easing my curiosity coal miner,i am glad i asked, The job on that drill press is pretty cool,,nice craftsmanship!
have a gooder.

coal miner

I'd like to see some more detail on the tool post drill you made. I've been thinking I need to make one myself instead of moving it ti the mill.

Thanks
Paul

coal miner

I'd like to see some more detail on the tool post drill you made. I've been thinking I need to make one myself instead of moving it ti the mill.

Thanks
Paul

He beat me to it, I was thinking the same thing. Please more on that toolholder drill chuck setup you have there.

Old Iron and Uncle Buck , will get some pics of it gathered and do a separate thread on the drill post . Comes in pretty handy . Saves my back from wrestling w/ the RT and set up in the mill . Thanks for the interest .

I made two for my war time Sheldon. They are the upper left in the picture. So far out of what I have made, they are the handiest tools since all I have is a lamp post tool holder. The bar in the pic has a bearing on it to help indicate a round part in the chuck quickly. Just mount it in the tool holder an push against the part as it spins.

be

DSCN6434.jpg

Back