This is it....

I have a buddy that calls me for stuff. Latest was if I had any 1/2" stock. I did have a single piece, but it's not free for me, it would cost me $24 including shipping to replace it. He could buy something for $13 including shipping on Amazon and I told him that it was a good deal and just get it.

I could have cut my stock in half and given it to him, and would have if I had a bunch of stock. He had no clue of what material costs these days. I'm thinking he would used it and given it back to me slightly bent. I didn't want to take that chance. It was only afterwards that he told me he was winding a torsion spring. My knowledge of how this guy operates made me hesitant to be a party to loaned stock. He's still a good person, but kind of clueless about buggering up material.

+1 THIS! What I describe as the magic ignorance syndrome. They have no clue so everything is no big deal. My first big thunderclap moment was being faced with a guy no matter how much I raised my price to get rid of him he said ok. I realized working too cheap made it seem like you just enjoyed doing it and didn’t really need $$. And time is never anything that is part of the equation with those afflicted with MIS.
MIS? doh, if only I knew had to read from the beginning. :bang head:

Last edited:
I’m pretty well versed in dealing with the public being in a two man garage where we each had our clientele. Long before that when going to school I supported myself by doing repair work out of my garage. I got the huge dose of who to avoid. I’m maxed out as far a biz with my online home biz so I’m not looking for more work. I’ve had to cut off the custom orders because of time restraints.

My “problem” is also a lack of space and the fact the universe keeps tempting me. A couple of weeks ago I caught a CL listing as it was posted just minutes before where a guy was getting rid of an old friends machines. It was a surface grinder, lathe and mill, FOR FREE. Yeah I can hear the groans and head shakes and “I’d be there in a second” but these were all full sized machines and the logistics alone and then having to turn them somehow kept me in check effortlessly. I know my limits.

I could see snowblowers(we have no snow) and boat motors etc because of the manageability. I appreciate you revealing your secrets.

No problem, If I didn't have to work I could support myself just working on outboard motors. Theres millions of good outboards out there that need a little work, but the marinas dont want to work on anything older than 15-20yrs old due to corrosion and issues relating to this.

This leaves Joebob stuck with the family boat that needs tinkering (Water pump, shifter adjustment, gear case seals) that he does not know how to do and the marina wont touch for liability. So basically his $4000 boat is only usable with a new $10,000 motor or farming out the work to someone capable of removing broken, work hardened SS bolts out of brittle dry cast Aluminum, zinc or magnesium.

Who has the skills to do that in their garage?

Sure we can, and we seem legion here on the board, but out in the world we're rare as hens teeth.

I had a guy contact me through a CL ad for outboard repair, bring be a beautiful fiberglass reproduction of a wooden style runabout. This was made in the late 70s with a fiberglass hull, but looked like a 50s lake cruiser as the whole top was mahogany and teak. He had the local tech school go over the engine, and lets just say they were NOT Mercury techs.

Now Mercury makes great engines, but their a German engineers wet dream and if you don't know the tricks or have the exotic specialized tools you're going to wind up with a pile of butchered parts.

I got it running easily enough, but it wouldnt shift into/out of gear. Heres a video of when I got it running after working on it for weeks that I sent him as a progress report.

You'll notice how its stuck in gear, so I had to hit the easy button and made a video outlining the problem and posted it to a boat forum.

When I got the lowdown on what was wrong I knew what was needed to fixit, but that led to further issues as #1 I needed a $400 tool to take the ring nut out of the lower unit gearcase to get at the problem, and #B, the ring nut and lower unit were groped beyond repair by a really bad mechanic back in the day using all the wrong tools, and corrosion between the two.

So it needed a serviceable lower unit which were made out of pure unobtainium at this point due to the design (Mercury, seriously? WTF were U thinking). At this point the owner had $4K into restoring the boat and desperately wanted me to buy it off of him for cheap just to get out of it, which I would have done in a heartbeat, but there was no way my gigantic self would be able to fit in a boat this size.

He wound up paying me for my time and we kept in touch and searched for a new lower unit to swap out. Took 8 months for me to find one and even at that I still needed to rebuild the lower unit and get that $400 tool.

What I wound up doing was making the tool (Its literally why we have these machines?) and after 18months he got a working boat.

I only made $900 on that whole affair, which worked out to about $3 per hour (Kidding, but it felt like it) and I literally felt like jumping off a bridge a couple times as I had to fit in, and work around other jobs, plus work 48hrs a week.

So yeah, find work, but understand fully there will be pitfalls.

That ends this novel. If you look in the background in those videos or at my other vids from that time you can see some of the other jobs I had at that time.

ETA: WTH is this thread about anyway?

Last edited:
I have a buddy that calls me for stuff. Latest was if I had any 1/2" stock. I did have a single piece, but it's not free for me, it would cost me $24 including shipping to replace it. He could buy something for $13 including shipping on Amazon and I told him that it was a good deal and just get it.

I could have cut my stock in half and given it to him, and would have if I had a bunch of stock. He had no clue of what material costs these days. I'm thinking he would used it and given it back to me slightly bent. I didn't want to take that chance. It was only afterwards that he told me he was winding a torsion spring. My knowledge of how this guy operates made me hesitant to be a party to loaned stock. He's still a good person, but kind of clueless about buggering up material.
That's my neighbor David.

Dude could literally destroy a hammer trying to open a can of paint. He needed some C clamps years back and I loaned him my crappiest ones figuring he would butcher them.

What he returned was a 5gal bucket of decent C clamps that did not belong to me. We worked it out, but holy cow, I don't understand some people.

Back