Thinking about making a new base for my grizzly g0762 mill

im about 4 inches shorter than you, do you think that would make a difference?

I would reccomend putting the mill up on wood or concrete blocks and see what height works best for you. To me, it seems like machines are mainly designed to work for shorter people which can be a pain in the back for taller people.

Most of my machines are considerably taller than stock and it makes using them so much nicer for me!

yes. If you are going to make a riser it may as well fit you

ok got some time to start this week on the mill stand, base still has some runners to be welded in and trussing up to be done. have about 1.5 hours to go welding up the pan. frame is mostly 3x6 x3/8" wall tube and pan is 3/16 plate. end weight will be around 550lbs for the base. provisions for a slide out for coolant tank and another for bits and pieces are in place. have to hurry this up as the wife approved me ordering a new (used) jet 1440 lathe that will hopefully be delivered around the end of the month

Attachments

• mill tray1.jpg
    mill tray1.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 12
  • mill base 2.jpg
    mill base 2.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 12
That looks like it would be pretty capable for what you need it for, and a fair bit more! :)

If you don't mind, I have a question, given you appear to know well enough to handle a welder.

Would you say that for average hobbyist shop machine tool stands/supports, made from smaller box section (say 40 mm x 40 mm and 4mm wall; sorry, from the UK, our stuff is in metric, I something like 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" with 5/16" wall), that adding diagonal supports is more important, or do you reckon box section is generally capable enough without diagonals?

That looks like it would be pretty capable for what you need it for, and a fair bit more! :)

If you don't mind, I have a question, given you appear to know well enough to handle a welder.

Would you say that for average hobbyist shop machine tool stands/supports, made from smaller box section (say 40 mm x 40 mm and 4mm wall; sorry, from the UK, our stuff is in metric, I something like 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" with 5/16" wall), that adding diagonal supports is more important, or do you reckon box section is generally capable enough without diagonals?
4mm is closer to 5/32" and i would say a tentative yes, the factory stand for my mill is stamped 1mm steel if i remember correctly, this is just what i have on hand, built a lot of tool stands and benches out of 1.5 inch tube over the years

4mm is closer to 5/32" and i would say a tentative yes, the factory stand for my mill is stamped 1mm steel if i remember correctly, this is just what i have on hand, built a lot of tool stands and benches out of 1.5 inch tube over the years
Eh, I'm rubbish at converting to fractional inches in my head; should have payed more attention to what I was typing. :oops:

Well that should save me some money on box section then; I wouldn't be thinking of supporting some honking great 3ft swing lathe. It'd be more like something benchtop. ;)

Thanks for replying. :encourage:

ok got some time to start this week on the mill stand, base still has some runners to be welded in and trussing up to be done. have about 1.5 hours to go welding up the pan. frame is mostly 3x6 x3/8" wall tube and pan is 3/16 plate. end weight will be around 550lbs for the base. provisions for a slide out for coolant tank and another for bits and pieces are in place. have to hurry this up as the wife approved me ordering a new (used) jet 1440 lathe that will hopefully be delivered around the end of the month
looks like an excellent place to fill with sand for vibration absorption

LIfe sure gets in the way sometimes, got fab finished. Sprayed some paint and got the mill mounted today. Currently bakong sand so i can put it into the legs. I wish my lathe was going and i had larger steel stock on hand but 3 inch feet will do the job for now
1000004111.jpg1000004127.jpg1000004128.jpg

Back