Tale of a Vevor 1340 Wood Lathe

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I received a Vevor 1340 wood lathe for Christmas 2022 and started playing with it....

One of the shortcomings of the lathe is the inability to drill from the tailstock.
I took it upon myself to rectify that situation.

I purchased an inexpensive 1/2" capacity Jacobs' Keyless Drill Chuck .
it came tapped with a 1/2"-20 tpi female thread

IMG_5296[1].jpg IMG_5295[1].jpg

I found a 10" piece of 304 Stainless M18x2.5 all-thread and a jam nut on ebay .
turned one end to 10MM to accept a handwheel

IMG_5294[1].jpg

I turned the opposing end to .500"
and single pointed the threads for 1/2"-20 tpi very close tolerance fit

IMG_5293[1].jpg IMG_5292[1].jpg

i removed the live center from the tailstock and installed the drill chuck

IMG_5297.jpg IMG_5298.jpg

the full extension is approximately 5-1/4" with the jam nut

the next project will be turning a handwheel to utilize the retrofit

stay tuned if you dare!

after successfully drilling from the tailstock, i pondered a tachometer and how i'd go about doing it.

i found a suitable 4 digit 110vac display and a 12mm diameter, 3 wire npn hall effect proximity sensor, and a suitable neodymium magnet- all the basic components for a tachometer.

The first question was how to mount the display without hacking the lathe up.
i designed and 3D printed a surface mount enclosure (after 4 iterations)
it will be screwed to the drilled and tapped exterior of the headstock sheetmetal with 2 M4 pan head screws
the rubber grommeted sheetmetal will have a 10 mm hole for wiring to pass through

then the second question came up, how am i going to hold the hall effect sensor and adjust it?
i designed and 3D printed a bracket (after 2 iterations), to be fastened to the headstock sheetmetal with #8 screws and aircraft nuts
the distal end is slotted to allow centering of the sensor in relation to the spindle

the 3rd question... How am i going to attach the magnet to the spindle?
i designed and 3D printed a snap on collar that was designed with a depression for a press fit of the neodymium magnet (3 iterations)
the final collar locks tightly to the spindle, i didn't find it necessary to adhere the collar to the spindle due to the amount of friction the collar generates, but if it should become an issue, some silicone or some CA glue would most likely suffice

i added 3 pin male and female quick release electrical disconnects to the hall effect proximity sensor and display input count wiring
i added .250" spade piggyback terminals to the tach 110vac input wires for easy installation on the OEM switch

here's a picture of the components pre installation....

top left: Display
top right: 3d printed enclosure
bottom left: 3d printed snap collar, neodymium magnet installed
bottom right: 3D printed bracket, hall effect proximity sensor installed

IMG_5595.jpg

and a picture of the installed system for the inside of the headstock

IMG_5597.jpg

and a picture of the front after the install

IMG_5598.jpg

video coming soon!

thanks for looking!

Although I haven’t owned anything Vevor, it seems that quality is hit and miss. Looks like yours is a hit.
Always fun to mod stuff, no matter what it is.

Back