Surface plate stand

GT-6 Racer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Scored a very nice but ink stained Starrett pink granite surface plate. Needed a stand and an efficient storage for instruments. So....
Some 2" steel tubing and a weekend and voila, a new addition to the shop. don't mind the messy background, clearly there is a need for more storage.

IMG_6899.JPG

Looks awesome! Alcohol or Acetone should take the blue off.

Looks awesome! Alcohol or Acetone should take the blue off.
or atleast fade them. But there is no problem if it is left there. it is probably prussian blue with a petroleum base, and was drawn into the grain boundaries. The newer water based high spotting compounds (such as Canode) don't soak in.

Suburban Tool recommends using Ammonia (plain Ammonium Hydroxide , like used to clean floods, no additional ingredients) for cleaning granite surface plates.

Suburban Tool recommends using Ammonia (plain Ammonium Hydroxide , like used to clean floods, no additional ingredients) for cleaning granite surface plates.
That's what I use; I buy those big plastic containers of pop up ammonia wipes. That way the cloth is always perfectly clean!

That's what I use; I buy those big plastic containers of pop up ammonia wipes. That way the cloth is always perfectly clean!
Don't access mine frequently enough for those - they'd get dried out. I use Tee-shirt gun patches wetted with Amonia out of the bottle for this and when cleaning other precision tools with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Years ago, I bought a bottle of "Surface Plate Cleaner" from Enco. It turned out to be basically just ammonia, it does do a very good job for general cleaning. However, I feel the Alcohol or Acetone works better for removing Prussian Blue.

Back