Somewhere between Germany and China this happened.

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Definately off topic but here it is. Decided to finally get around to changing the spark plugs in my 2003 Envoy. (I bought the plugs 3 years ago and due to health issuses just now getting to using them. I bought the plugs at Autozone 3 years ago and they are suppose to be Bosch Platinum. When you see the pictures you will see why I didn't get finished with the job. Of the 6 plugs that were still in their un-opened boxes 2 of them are the correct replacement plugs for the engine. 1 is an Autolite (not Bosch and is not the correct plug you can see it has a gasket seal and not a taper seal. 1 is an Autolite (not a Bosch) Good thing it would not fit in the 5/8" socket that I used to remove the original plugs. Not only is it an old style 13/16" hex size it is totally wrong. Now to make sure everyone understands all of these plugs were in sealed Bosch individual boxes and those boxes were inside a sealed Bosch box as well. There are 2 un-opened individual Bosch boxes ane we will just call them the Un-known spark plugs. I didn't want to open them until I was standing at the counter of the Autozone store that sold them to me.

Please understand this is not an Error that was made by AutoZone or any of the stores employees. It is what is referred to in the automotive components industry as a Packaging Error. This also tells us that Autozone is not at fault and that Bosch and Autolite plugs are made in the same plant and get packaged by high speed packaging machines.

So the argument of who has the best spark plug is Null and Void. This happens in all industries across the planet. (Example Bosh buys plugs from Autolite and the list goes on and on. I used to put Fram lables on Our filters (A/C Spark Plug) and put them inside a Fram box. ) Chrysler buys parts from GM. How do I know that ? One of the Chassi Plants I was in on a trip to Saginaw Chassi the plant manager of the Chassi plant was getting his a$$ reamed because they sent a pallet of brake rotors that were unfinished to Chrysler. 2 days in a row!!!!!!. What else can I say but $hit happens all over the world. every day. Its nice to be retired and on the outside looking in.

Tomorrow I will see if Autozone makes it good or I just get to buy more plugs. Either way I will be taking one of the old plugs with me and we will open boxes before I leave the store.

Sure, glad I found this Off Topic spot. It fits me well because I am more Off than On myself. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2669.JPG
    IMG_2669.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2671.JPG
    IMG_2671.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 34
I don't doubt that there are scumbags that purchase auto parts, carefully open the sealed container, swap the correct part for junk, reseal the container and return the package for a refund. I suspect that's what happened to you. As you said, taking a sample and inspecting the good on site should protect you. Ain't life grand!

I don't doubt that there are scumbags that purchase auto parts, carefully open the sealed container, swap the correct part for junk, reseal the container and return the package for a refund. I suspect that's what happened to you. As you said, taking a sample and inspecting the good on site should protect you. Ain't life grand!
I have heard of skumbags ding things like that but this is not the case at all. The packages were sealed at the factory and never opened until I opened them.

I purchased a SOLENOID from O'Rileys when I got it home I found it was used one of the large nuts was rusty and the other was the wrong thread. YES, I RETURNED IT!

After 3 years it's possible the store might give you some static, but since the plugs were probably expensive I guess I would try.
Always inspect stuff right when you buy it

I have heard of skumbags ding things like that but this is not the case at all. The packages were sealed at the factory and never opened until I opened them.
Please describe what you mean by "sealed". What is the nature/material of the package? Sealed how/with what? The lasT time I bought spark plugs, they were in individual chipboard boxes, like the BOSCH box shown in your picture. They could have been easily opened at a glued joint, with a razorblade, and re-glued. YMMV

And now for the rest of the story:

I took the spark plugs that I had purchased back to Autozone today. Remember that 2 of the boxes were still un-opened and I had the sales person at Autozone open them in my presence Those 2 also had Autolite plugs in them as you will see in the attached picture . So of the 4 spark plugs inside Bosch boxes all 4 of them were Autolite plugs . 3 of them of one size and 1 of another size. Autozone would not allow me to return them because they have a 90 day return policy. Which I totally understand and I am the one who dropped the ball on the time limit.

The above being said I purchased 4 more of the Bosch plugs and had the attendant open all 4 boxes before I paid for them. The attendant suggested that I buy AC Delco instead of Bosch beacause I am working on a GM vehicle. What he did not understand is that AC Delco has not been in the business of making Spark Plugs for GM for over 15 years now. Because the Plant in Flint Michigan was completely demolished around 2008. But Bosh was making spark plugs for GM Powertrain even before that. So If I had of bought AC Delco plugs they would be the same Bosh Plugs with a AC brand name and box. After 30 years in the Automotive components manufacturing business I do know what I am talking about.

Sadly the public customers do not know this nor do the sales people.

I paid another $50 dollars for the 4 plugs, but I still want to shout loud and clear the problem was not and never was an Autozone fault or any Autozone employee's fault. .

Attachments

• IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    495 KB · Views: 9
No names mentioned, I worked for a major brewer for almost 40 yrs. At one point we started contract brewing. there was one beer that went into 11 different brand cans...

No names mentioned, I worked for a major brewer for almost 40 yrs. At one point we started contract brewing. there was one beer that went into 11 different brand cans...
Oh...do tell. You have my interest piqued...at the risk of crushing the souls of diehard beer brand fans! This revelation could be the final nail in the coffin of our obsession with market "choices".

We owe it all to Wall Street. To corporate America the real customer is Wall Street. No longer are manufacturing plants the maker of decisions as to what products they produce. They must bid on their own products. We were forced to sell our products as a loss. How long can a company continue to be in business selling its products for less than it cost to make them? It is bankruptcy by design. Our CEO got paid 13 million dollars as his reward for bankrupting the company. I've been out of the business now for 16 years and had to detox my head from all the stress I dealt with for the 30 years I did it. But getting the miss packaged spark plugs took me down memory lane. Bottom line any and all kinds of Loyalty is damn near extinct in our country today.

Back