IMG_20240911_184928090.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20240911_184934103.jpg
    IMG_20240911_184934103.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240911_184940185.jpg
    IMG_20240911_184940185.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 17
Nah. I'd rather spend the money on something American. I can do better, perhaps not the best solution though, for less. And it'll likely last longer.

Someone on taigtools@groups.io did something like the ebay thing. I have.to look his post over again.

The price on those sewing machine servo motors I showed has gone up significantly. They have a lot of torque and speed in a small package. I have been running one on my 15" drill press for several years. I did overheat it with a 2" hole saw but it survived.
I also have a Sherline with the original motor. Not as much torque.

Nah. I'd rather spend the money on something American. I can do better, perhaps not the best solution though, for less. And it'll likely last longer.

Someone on taigtools@groups.io did something like the ebay thing. I have.to look his post over again.
I'm pretty sure that Custom Crafter is a USA based vendor, who is one of our commercial supporters
I think quite a few have been happy with their solutions.

The price on those sewing machine servo motors I showed has gone up significantly. They have a lot of torque and speed in a small package. I have been running one on my 15" drill press for several years. I did overheat it with a 2" hole saw but it survived.
I also have a Sherline with the original motor. Not as much torque.

That one looks like it has a control panel for running machines. I bought a 750w Consew motor earlier this year to run on my Rivett lathe. It was about 1/2 that price but just has a simple lever to control speed as it is expected to control speed on a sewing machine with a foot pedal or knee control.

So ... is it that Sherline statements about their motor's power is exaggerated? Somewhere on their site I swear it said something like "our new motor has more torque then the old 1/4 HP motor". My old Atlas 618 had a 1/4 HP motor. I'm guessing it could destroy Sherline:s motor in a tussle.

Sherline's current motor is a 1/12hp DC motor, the old motors were 1/5hp or 1/4hp AC/DC universal motors. They claim the new motor has more torque at lower speeds than the older motors.

I'm not really into electronics, but from my understanding DC motors maintain their torque across a broad range, but AC/DC motors will quickly lose torque at low speeds. The old lathe could run 200-2000rpm, the current lathe 70-2800.

I don't know if the loss is linear, but assuming the 1/4hp rating was at 2000rpm, then at 200 was it only 1/40hp, or even at half that loss 1/20hp?

I've never used a Sherline with the older motor, but have not had any trouble with the motor lacking power. I have stalled the lathe, but it was when trying to take a relatively heavy cut with a dull tool.

It happens on the Taig IO forums there is a discussion going on for alternate motors. There is a small Penn State 3/4hp DC variable speed motor that has been suggested. It is about 1/2 the price of the Sherline motor.

Penn state DC motor

I don't know what an ac/dc motor is. The bearings are the same whether it's a lathe of my vintage or a new one? I do believe w/the proper pulley, the current motor can drive the h/s up to 10,000rpm. Could my lathe handle those speeds, not that I want to go anywhere near that high.

An AC/DC motor is a brushed universal motor. It has a rotor that looks like a regular brushed DC motor with a commutator. The magnetic field comes from a windings on the stator (non rotating part).

Things are arranged such that the motor runs the same way on positive AND negative voltage. This comes from the wound stator, whose magnetic field is swapping direction with the positive and negative voltage. The rotor also swaps, but with the right connections, it all comes out right

Reversing them requires reversing the leads on the stator.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back