So I bought a Sherline, need a motor

skogkatt007

Registered
Registered
It's an older 1, with the long/wide tailstock, and silver dials. Seems to be in really nice shape, but no motor. I have a couple of small ac motors here I'm thinking I could get by with. I am NOT laying out hundreds more for the motor/speed controller. I'll just make do with what I have for now. Eventually upgrade to "a" dc motor and controller. Nothing against the Sherline unit, just for the money I can get a brutal combination.

Please don't lecture me about buying a new motor from Sherline. My purpose in posting is to see if anyone has fenagled a motor, ac or dc. Taig sells a set of 6 step pulleys that may prove useful.

I have a really small Dayton motor, 5000rpm, that may be underpowered. Also have a 1/20HP Boston Gear motor, 1750 rpm. Very beefy looking. Have another 12vdc motor by Bosch that realistically looks as large as a Sherline motor. Maybe 10,000rpm. As I've said I'm looking to hear from Sherline/Taig/Unimat 3 owners that have substituted non-standard motor setups.

Sorry just have the stock motor on mine, but yeah the replacement Sherline motor / speed control is not cheap.

The current motor is 60w or about 1/12hp. The older version used a 1/8hp motor.

My little watchmaker lathe uses a 1/15hp Universal motor, if that is what your Dayton motor is that might not be a bad place to start.

Correction. The little Dayton motor says 1/15 HP, 1.2 amps, 115vac, 5000rpm. The much beefier Boston Gear unit says 1725 rpm, 1.35 amps at 115vac. Not really understanding how the little motor is more powerful, significantly. I should point out the BG motor says ".05 TE" for HP. The little Dayton motor looks like it's fit for a sewing machine. The BG is about 4.5" in diameter, 7" long.

So substituting a slower rpm motor for a faster one simply requires enlarging the motor pulley (or shrinking the spindle pulley, or a combination of both)? Is it that simple? A larger motor pulley should mean more power to the spindle, no?

Here's the Dayton motor:

And here's the BG:

There are plenty of writeups on using a treadmill motor. Check Craigslist and Marketplace. Free to $40. Look for older models they will have those 3/4 to 1.5 HP.

Sent from my SM-G736U using Tapatalk

So substituting a slower rpm motor for a faster one simply requires enlarging the motor pulley (or shrinking the spindle pulley, or a combination of both)? Is it that simple? A larger motor pulley should mean more power to the spindle, no?

I think that is correct. The 1/4hp motor Taig offers is also 1750rpm so a set of the Taig pulleys with the BG motor would probably work OK if they could be made to fit the lathe and motor.

That would give you a good range of speeds.Taig parts are also fairly inexpensive.

Is the BG motor also variable speed?

Those are both 115vac motors. Neither is variable speed. I could lower the speed with Variac. But you lose torque that way I'm told.

The Dayton is listed as an ac/dc motor. Or in that series. Whatever that means. But at the end.of the day both do their stuff at 115vac.

It's an older 1, with the long/wide tailstock, and silver dials. Seems to be in really nice shape, but no motor. I have a couple of small ac motors here I'm thinking I could get by with. I am NOT laying out hundreds more for the motor/speed controller. I'll just make do with what I have for now. Eventually upgrade to "a" dc motor and controller. Nothing against the Sherline unit, just for the money I can get a brutal combination.

Please don't lecture me about buying a new motor from Sherline. My purpose in posting is to see if anyone has fenagled a motor, ac or dc. Taig sells a set of 6 step pulleys that may prove useful.

I have a really small Dayton motor, 5000rpm, that may be underpowered. Also have a 1/20HP Boston Gear motor, 1750 rpm. Very beefy looking. Have another 12vdc motor by Bosch that realistically looks as large as a Sherline motor. Maybe 10,000rpm. As I've said I'm looking to hear from Sherline/Taig/Unimat 3 owners that have substituted non-standard motor setups.
pics or it didn't happen

Back