Small Taper Thread Tap

27 is a plain old pipe tap , so not sure why that one is so expensive , other than being Carbide . Jake could be correct as some taper taps are denoted with an S , for special . The " model shop " I worked in had all kinds of weird ass different pitch taps . Most were for gun making and I'm sure this was done on purpose by the engineers .

Most taps are broken down into three types... bottoming (fewest threads chamfered to get as many threads deep), plug taps (a few more threads used to cut the full thread), and taper taps, which have maybe twice the number of threads to cut a full thread.

A taper tap is great to start hand tapping a hole.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Me neither. :cool:

Speculating, and given the long taper....

I wonder if it's a "model making" special thread. They use a lot of threads that are much finer than "normal" ones, for better engagement over shorter distance. (Thinner work pieces). 32 and 40 are ones I've heard to be common.

1/16 is a valid pipe thread size in most if not all flavors, including tapered. Very uncommon in "the real world", but model makers use it. I wonder if you have a way to compare the taper. NPT threads are all tapered by 3/4 per foot, which is 1/16 per inch.

Definitely a special tap and not a pipe tap.

Gun smithing or model making as mentioned are both distinct possibilities.

That price is ridiculous, they may be commonly bought for a tiny fraction of that price. I used that size with 27tpi on a product that I sold in my business on an item for checking the pressure (or lack thereof) in a wine bottle with a cork driven in; if this results in significant pressure in the bottle, leaks past the cork can be the result, with unsightly mold under the foil finish.

Back