Small Taper Thread Tap

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I don't believe I've ever seen one of these...

20240919_154539.jpg

I can barely read the script on it, but the best I can tell, it says "1/16-36 taper thread"...

Is that just a small pipe tap?

What would it be used for?

-Bear

@mmcmdl

Unless my eyes are at fault, that tap does indeed look to be tapered top to bottom of the thread, with a tapered lead like a Taper (2nd) tap would have..

It is definitely tapered... but with 36 tpi...

IDK... it may be a special size, like the 31/64-18 tap that I found in the same box...

-Bear

Is it a tap for use on a small bore oil line on a classic/vintage/veteran vehicle pressure gauge perhaps or something to do with A/C?

Only taper threads I have ever seen that size are nominally on pipes or fasteners for gauges or A/C...........

HOLY COW!!! Just spotted this one online! F*** me sidways that is expensive!!!!

https://www.raptorsupplies.co.uk/pd/north-american/41800

Didn't see where the above said 36TPI . :dunno:I see 27 tpi in the link .

Is it a tap for use on a small bore oil line on a classic/vintage/veteran vehicle pressure gauge perhaps or something to do with A/C?

Only taper threads I have ever seen that size are nominally on pipes or fasteners for gauges or A/C...........

HOLY COW!!! Just spotted this one online! F*** me sidways that is expensive!!!!

https://www.raptorsupplies.co.uk/pd/north-american/41800

On the plus side since it’s carbide you can plan on going back for more when you snap it off in the part.

I don't believe I've ever seen one of these...

Me neither. :cool:
I can barely read the script on it, but the best I can tell, it says "1/16-36 taper thread"...

Is that just a small pipe tap?

What would it be used for?

-Bear

Speculating, and given the long taper....

I wonder if it's a "model making" special thread. They use a lot of threads that are much finer than "normal" ones, for better engagement over shorter distance. (Thinner work pieces). 32 and 40 are ones I've heard to be common.

1/16 is a valid pipe thread size in most if not all flavors, including tapered. Very uncommon in "the real world", but model makers use it. I wonder if you have a way to compare the taper. NPT threads are all tapered by 3/4 per foot, which is 1/16 per inch.

Back