Slitting saw - how to choose

martik777

Active User
Registered
I need a saw that will cut thru 4140 occasionally .190" thick but usually .040" thick.

I've been using 40mm x 1mm x 72t but the teeth dull quickly.

Would a thinner blade wear less? How about less teeth? I don't need a fine finish. I've used angle grinder cutoff wheels but they tend to not cut straight as they are too thin and flexible.

Here's some I am looking at:

Slower rpm, light feed and lots of lube. Thin saws will wrinkle during a heavy feed, the flex will cause a crack. Watch out if your table has stick slip.

I would be running that size of blade at around 180 - 200 RPM in 4140. Much faster eats teeth quite quickly.

Ah,
Are those to be used on a horizontal mill?
Angle grinder?
No key slot.

I need a saw that will cut thru 4140 occasionally .190" thick but usually .040" thick.

I've been using 40mm x 1mm x 72t but the teeth dull quickly.

I have same saw.
I run mine at 70 RPMs with a <slow> drip lube system on to the top of the blade.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here but this thread is relevant to my needs so I'd like to post an on topic question.

I'm working on a small project that requires a slit cut into the end of an aluminum round of 0.750 diameter. The slot will be across the face (like a nock on an arrow) to a depth of 0.875" and width of 0.114".

So I've read that one should choose a saw blade that has as small a diameter as possible that still allows the depth of cut. Now what about tooth count? Usually we like a larger tooth with a bigger gullet for cutting aluminum, right? Or maybe smaller teeth are better because the feeds should be pretty slow for slotting/slitting?

I've never slotted before and this will be attempted on an Atlas lathe with the milling attachment. I have more questions regarding the actual process but I figure I'd start with choosing equipment!

To get that depth of cut, you will need a saw around 3 1/5" - 4" in diameter. What is the lowest RPM of your machine? Good thing it's aluminum. I'd keep it way below 2000 RPM, with lots of kerosene or WD40. Aluminum can heat up in a slot and expand to grab the blade. I'd tend to go with the courser tooth. You'll never use a blade that big on steel.

The lathe I'm gonna try this on has back gears so it can go pretty slow. I never had a manual for it but from searching around on the net I think the slowest it goes is probably around 28rpm. That seems maybe too slow?

Also, hypothetically speaking, if you had to make this cut in steel, what could you use?

Back