Shars U2 Universal Tool and Cutter Grinder-Adapter removal?

My “theory” on the tool design was to reach the bottom of the threaded hole in the spindle nose with my pin to preclude any opportunities I may have for damaging the spindle nose.

My “theory” on the tool design was to reach the bottom of the threaded hole in the spindle nose with my pin to preclude any opportunities I may have for damaging the spindle nose.
I agree 100%

Jeff,

I‘m unfamiliar with your U2 cutter grinder, is it just for drill bits or is it for other grinding purposes also?? The drill sharpeners I just bought, are really simple to use, but according to the manual, it’s just for drill bits. Does this use individual collets or a all in one like a drill doctor?? I looked at an dedicated end mill sharpener, made by the same manufacturer as the drill bit sharpener, but they started in the $1200-$1300 range, a little too expensive at this current time, for me.

This kit is called the universal. It comes with the drill bit attachment that looks a lot like the Lyle unit IMHO.
It also has an end mill attachment and a lathe tool holding device.
One could get as complicated or as simple as the users imagine desires.
The heads that holds the drill bit attachment has a 5C collet chuck. You know what that implies.
Since I have a basic 5C collet set I have a good start on holding end mills.

The Shars version ("Sheckel") of the Chinese U2 or the German Deckel all refer to D-bit sharpeners. They work like a T&C grinder, but they are limited because you can't work through a 180 degree arc. The working range is more like 120 degrees. When used as presented, they can do wonderful things on D-bits, but when outfitted with additonal fixtures, they can do end mill faces, flutes, drill bits, countersinks, dovetail cutters, and more. And more requires thinking outside of the box. That is a very individual thing, not everyone can look at a Deckel and see hidden ways to make and sharpen tools. They represent a great value, because a truly universal T&C grinder would cost at best 3-5x as much up front.

Last edited:
I was watching Stephan's video on this U2 grinder. He chose to just use the 8mm 1.25 thread to push the adapter off the taper.
I must admit, I have done this 2-3 times now with no marks at all on the spindle.
I think I will go ahead and make one but I thought it was interesting as he is a very anal machinist.

Back