Sewing machine lift table. How to?

I got two of these off a heavy duty gym grade treadmill along with the heavy duty motor. Just waiting for the right project. Over 1” shaft and ball bearing thrust bearings. The frame alone weighed 120lbs and it was aluminum! This would lift a 100lb sewing machine no problem.

Attachments

• 0CF47256-CCA9-4B71-A5A0-0E53160034C9.jpeg
    0CF47256-CCA9-4B71-A5A0-0E53160034C9.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 9
A knee mill has no trouble lifting straight and stable with a single acme screen and a guide.

The threaded rod/chain drive combination can be used with three or four allthread rods to lift,
and kept synchronized by linking all the rods to the same chain (looped with 90 degree bend
at each vertex of a rectangle). It works a treat, and allthread is very economical.
Torque-limited drill/driver would make it motorized.
An alternate system could be unistrut as vertical tracks, and a single
well-placed (center-of-mass) cable lift point with a come-along for tension.

It doesn't look like three machines all run at once, though; why do you want C-shape, rather than just a
single worktable?

A knee mill has no trouble lifting straight and stable with a single acme screen and a guide.
Yep, but with dove tails and gibs to take up the play…little more involved than I want for a simple table lift.

The threaded rod/chain drive combination can be used with three or four allthread rods to lift,
and kept synchronized by linking all the rods to the same chain (looped with 90 degree bend
at each vertex of a rectangle). It works a treat, and allthread is very economical.
Torque-limited drill/driver would make it motorized.
An alternate system could be unistrut as vertical tracks, and a single
well-placed (center-of-mass) cable lift point with a come-along for tension.

It doesn't look like three machines all run at once, though; why do you want C-shape, rather than just a
single worktable?
Machines are mounted in and level with the table top. They’re not portable.

It doesn't have to be dovetails. 3D printers use a nylon bushing on a guide bar.

I would add locks that would secure the table in position when the machine was at working height.

It doesn't have to be dovetails. 3D printers use a nylon bushing on a guide bar.
Maybe some, but not all. My CR10 uses bearing rollers, not guide blocks. Nylon bushing actually sounds a little "catchy/stiff" for a 3d printer.

I'd go with the rollers before nylon blocks, but it's probably not really important when talking about a simple lift platform.

Back