Rubber for Mill table covers

Almost any material that sits directly on top of the table will trap moisture, either by sweating or capillary effect. I would recommend using some standoffs that give you an air space. I used some round aluminum stick under my covers that are threaded in an adjustable. I spray a coating on the table surface.

Mill table cover 1.jpg
Mill table cover 2.jpg
Mill table cover 3.jpg

Thanks for the reply’s all. I think I am going to make them of UHMW with a stand off for an air gap. I can mill or route channels for coolant or small dit retention that way.

I use the table more often than the vise. I don't really see the need for table covers, and think I would find them more of a nuisance than anything else. I do keep my machines covered with old bed sheets. JMO Mike

well, my vise is keyed, so not much work to true it up, a tap here or there.
And I use the table often, and my rotary table, and my angles... so it's off , often.

The keys are a good idea. I should do the same.

I've recently taken to clamping the rotary table in the vise. It does take up a lot of Z travel but it's quick.

BTW I recently added a silicone holder for my right side.. Picked it up at HF. I like it, and don't like it. It fills up with chips (don't like)
don't like the shape wish it had rectangular shape rather than chamfered corners (dumb stuff).
I like that tools stay put, and that it has bit holders (didn't think I would like that, but do). The thing I like especially is holding my 6" caliper, or mic.
I put drill bits, or chamfers in there.. just nicer than my old mdf plates with slots to hold stuff. I should look for a rectangle.. It was only 8.99 so no foul.
I tried something similar but on the moving jaw of the vise. Outside Screwball mentioned it a while back so I tried it for a while. It is convenient but the chips do get in there. Maybe I should try again, now that I've vacuuming more the using air.
IMG_6811.JPEG

The keys are a good idea. I should do the same.

I've recently taken to clamping the rotary table in the vise. It does take up a lot of Z travel but it's quick.

I tried something similar but on the moving jaw of the vise. Outside Screwball mentioned it a while back so I tried it for a while. It is convenient but the chips do get in there. Maybe I should try again, now that I've vacuuming more the using air.
View attachment 495989
my holder is on the right side of the vise. I use the top of the vise to write numbers because I would forget.
I often write the x and y numbers to hit. I just found a nice rect on amazon, I would remove the magnetic tray most likely, and it would seal up better than the HF unit. I like the notches in the HF because it holds a caliper

I bought some lamb skin leather to try for table covers on either side of the vice on my mill table. I'm hoping that chips burning into the surface won't be an issue.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 101730.png

I've been using toolbox drawer liner material, which provides a nice padded surface for setting down tools without dinging the table. Tools don't try to vibrate or slip off the table during operations which is a nice attribute, and if I accidently drop a tool or something the table is protected. However, chips tend to imbed themselves into the material so cleanup is a pain. Cleanup requires a glove-up to carefully brush the razor sharp embedded chips out/off.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 101853.png

Back