Rubber for Mill table covers

Windy city

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Has anyone who used rubber for a mill table cover found that moisture found its way between the cover and the table top creating a rust issue?

I have some 1/4" athletic rubber flooring I was going to cut as "matts" to keep on the table for a cover, but didnt want to find out after not getting to the mill for a month that rust showed up.

Thanks

Has anyone who used rubber for a mill table cover found that moisture found its way between the cover and the table top creating a rust issue?

I have some 1/4" athletic rubber flooring I was going to cut as "matts" to keep on the table for a cover, but didnt want to find out after not getting to the mill for a month that rust showed up.

Thanks
so rubber will often pucker from oil.
if the athletic rubber is really foam, that doesn't. It's why I replaced my flooring tiles by my mill and lathe, it was hard rubber. Great on the feet, but horrible for cleaning and oil.

Is the mill outdoors or indoors? Anything that traps moisture will lead to rust. I run koolmist, and if I don't clean up after using it, things can turn black. I take my vise off regularly to clean under and give a new spray of Fluid Film. If you protect your table with oil or a rust preventive, you should not have a problem. But You haven't provided enough info on your environment.

Environment is a 2500 sq ft steel and mechanical shop with Hydraunic in floor heat and a commercial dehumidifier in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.(+/- 35 miles from Lake Superior) Will have a mini split up and running in a week or two. Mostly all man made materials in the building, as my woodshop is another building. Housekeeping of the machine won’t be an issue. Cardboard, paper, wood or other natural products left on a machine for any duration can definitely speed oxidation unless the material is coated or impregnated with oil, etc. Wondering if anyone has seen this with a rubber product left for any significant time on uncoated cast.

I'm in NC, where everything gets rusty. LPS or Fluid Film really helps. Renzetti suggested LPS when installing a solid tool post on his lathe, which is similar to your situation.

I can't relate to removing your vise often. Better you than me!

I tried rubber mats and they did trap moisture. I then went to wood trays for a while. Finally settled on just covering the T slots and leaving the table exposed.

I'm in NC, where everything gets rusty. LPS or Fluid Film really helps. Renzetti suggested LPS when installing a solid tool post on his lathe, which is similar to your situation.

I can't relate to removing your vise often. Better you than me!
well, my vise is keyed, so not much work to true it up, a tap here or there.
And I use the table often, and my rotary table, and my angles... so it's off , often.

BTW I recently added a silicone holder for my right side.. Picked it up at HF. I like it, and don't like it. It fills up with chips (don't like)
don't like the shape wish it had rectangular shape rather than chamfered corners (dumb stuff).
I like that tools stay put, and that it has bit holders (didn't think I would like that, but do). The thing I like especially is holding my 6" caliper, or mic.
I put drill bits, or chamfers in there.. just nicer than my old mdf plates with slots to hold stuff. I should look for a rectangle.. It was only 8.99 so no foul.

Back