Rockwell Lathe Knocking Sound

usndave03

Registered
Registered
I got a Rockwell 11 lathe about a year ago. It was a mess but it seemed to work fine. I dont have any experience machining and I have been using the internet to learn. I took the machine apart when I 1st got it, cleaned it, painted it, oiled it etc. All the gear teeth look intact. However, I keep hearing a clicking sound at low rpm that bugs me and I would like to find the source. I ran the machine at low rpm at different settings to see if I can isolate the sound. I found that the sound is present at low rpm in direct drive only. Whats strange, I can't reproduce the sound by turning the spindle by hand...i only hear it under power. The bull gear looks clear all around and i don't see it making contact with anything anywhere. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on how I can fix this? I appreciate any insight, thank you. I would put a video on here but I'm not sure how yet

One source of clicking at low speed is the chuck jaws. As the jaw reaches the 12 o'clock position, it will drop down, making a clicking sound. As it rotates around, it is thrown to the outside only to fall again when it reaches 12 o'clock. At higher speeds, the centrifugal force and inertia keeps the jaws to the outside so no clicking sound. Tightening the jaws on a piece of stock will eliminate the clicking.

BTW, it is good practice to always have the jaws tightened when the spindle is rotating under power. While unlikely, it is possible that a jaw could work its way out and become a projectile.

One source of clicking at low speed is the chuck jaws. As the jaw reaches the 12 o'clock position, it will drop down, making a clicking sound. As it rotates around, it is thrown to the outside only to fall again when it reaches 12 o'clock. At higher speeds, the centrifugal force and inertia keeps the jaws to the outside so no clicking sound. Tightening the jaws on a piece of stock will eliminate the clicking.
Interesting, I'll check that. I dont think I had the chuck on the machine when I took this video though. I was checking the spindle nose for variation with a dial indicator

The spindle pulley may be worn and is loose on the spindle- that might cause a ticking or knocking sound
There could also be a bad bearing making the noise- a cracked race or bearing cage might do it

I was going to suggest the bearing might be the problem, especially the suggested bearing cage, but not easy to speculate when access to viewing the video is denied,

I was going to suggest the bearing might be the problem, especially the suggested bearing cage, but not easy to speculate when access to viewing the video is denied,
Sorry about that should be accessible now. 1st time posting using the Google drive link method

I saw the vid- -I think it's an adjustment to the clutch/shifter mechanism
This is a loud, very noticeable noise and not a bearing--

Last edited:
Back