[Newbie] Replacing or reusing old motor control?

xbartx

Registered
Registered
I have a older Boxford CNC lathe that I'm retrofitting to be able to use current software. It has a 750W permanent magnet DC motor. I believe it is controlled by the 4 components I have shown in the photo along with other safety switches.
I'm trying to decide on how to proceed with working with the original components with maybe a stand alone relay replacing the one on the driver board.
The other option is replacing all with a DC speed controller that will work with a 180V motor and take a 0 -10v signal from a Acorn control board. The lathe now utilizes some sort of braking ( maybe it is done on the Lenze speed controller) If I replace it with a new controller, what about braking?
The other option might be replacing the motor and controls all together, not sure what might fit with AC and VFD. Maybe a Stepper motor and controller?
Thoughts and opinions welcome! PS my knowledge of electronics is limited.
-Brad

IMG_1219_2.jpg

Motor should be fine, you'll want to replace all the controls though unless you're an electronics whiz.

John

The breaking is in the motor drive. When you select the new drive, make sure breaking is an option. Also, plan on purchasing a big external resistor. There are some on Amazon that look OK. Industrial resistors are predictably much more reliable (and expensive).

The breaking is in the motor drive. When you select the new drive, make sure breaking is an option. Also, plan on purchasing a big external resistor. There are some on Amazon that look OK. Industrial resistors are predictably much more reliable (and expensive).
The original motor does have a big resistor sitting on top of it, I thought it was used in the braking, just not sure how it was implemented.

I might be looking in the wrong section but what I see is $450 range?
They sell industrial stuff so might be expensive. Will definitely give you an idea of what’s out there.

Check eBay for bargains, search the web for documentation you’ll need for setting things up.

Cheaper route might be swapping the motor for a 3 phase and using a VFD. Good quality small used units are also available on eBay. Just make sure you order the right frame size so you don’t have a hassle fitting it.

But, I’d really try to stay with the original motor if possible.

John

I would probably keep the motor and speed controller- save some cash there
In fact you can probably keep most of that stuff and just change the computer interface board and get new software.
You might even be able to use LinuxCNC
Datasheet for drivers:

Attachments

• GS-D200S_STMicroelectronics.pdf
    183.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I found this on amazon, see it on ebay also. I'm not sure about breaking though.
ac180v-260v input dc0-180v output 8a
You can give it a try, not much to loose at that price.

But, @markba633csi is more knowledgeable than I am and he can probably help getting the speed controller talking to whatever motion control you decide on.

You may want to keep all the questions and progress in one thread on here. It’ll help people see what you’ve already done and when it’s up and running it will provide a good reference for the next person who needs the info.

John

Back