Removing a broken roll pin under flush

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a Cardinal Speedvise with a broken off roll pin under flush, I'd like to remove just because it bugs me (see pic below). Previous owner was using it and others as some sort of holding jig.

Any tips?

Attachments

• Removing_flush_roll_pin.jpg
    Removing_flush_roll_pin.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 56
You don't give much idea of size, but......

1) I would first do an "exploratory" with a self-threading screw up the middle. Not too tight or you risk expanding it and making it tighter.
Have a slide hammer ready just in case you get some grip. ideal to have vice-grip jaws on it.
Stop before damage.

2) after that, I'd try a drill bit sized to just a bit larger than the centre hole, go slow again maybe it'll catch and pull before cutting.
drill press preferred so it can pull a little
the roll pins I've tested here are fairly hard, so do NOT use a good set of drill bits.

3) depending on what the part is I'd consider drill from the blind side and punching it out

4) put a tig welding rod into the roll pin and light-up on it just enough to get them stuck together, then pull out with rod
I wonder if similar could be done with JB-weld after a good de-grease and dry......

-brino

EDIT, one more:

5) if it is truly "just because it bugs me" and causes no functional problem, then forget it and move on........ ;)

Yes, they are fairly hard, but machinable with HSS; I would use an end mill to remove it, due to the split, a drill may catch and break off, possibly compounding the problem.

See what size drill bit slips inside.

Look up what size screw this bit is used for thread tapping.

Get a tap and thread the hole.

Place screw with washers over hole, thread screw in, will pull it right out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

See what size drill bit slips inside.

Look up what size screw this bit is used for thread tapping.

Get a tap and thread the hole.

Place screw with washers over hole, thread screw in, will pull it right out.
Exactly what a threaded taper pin remover does . Works great ! :encourage:

Might work by using a method to remove pilot bearings. Get a punch that has a tight fit inside the pin. Fill the pin with grease, and the put the punch in the hole, and hit it with a hammer. the grease will hopefully push out the roll pin.

Unfortunately, roll pins are not "all the way around" - they have a gap in the circle. Attempting the "hydrauic method" will just squirt the grease out the gap.

-BUT-

If you could fill the space below with grease (using a syringe and needle?), being careful not to get the grease too far up the pin, then slightly grease the punch, insert it, and fill the "gap" with something like JB weld, you might get the hydraulic trick to work after the JB cures ... ?

Back